Apple Lifts Purchase Limits on iPhones, New iPad Pro, and New MacBook Air Outside of China

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has lifted purchase limits previously imposed on iPhone, new iPad Pro, and new MacBook Air purchases made outside of China.

Apple this past week had set purchase limits across several of its products. For example, the new MacBook Air and Mac mini were limited to five orders per customer, the new iPad Pro was limited to two 11-inch models per customer and two 12.9-inch models per customer, and iPhones were limited to two of each model per customer.

Some purchase limits have yet to be lifted in China. Although China does not have any purchase limits on iPhones and the Mac mini, there does still exist a limit of five MacBook Air orders per customer. Additionally, there exists a limit on the new iPad Pro, however, it is unable to be ordered at this time as approval for the device in the country is still pending.

Article Link: Apple Lifts Purchase Limits on iPhones, New iPad Pro, and New MacBook Air Outside of China

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
What was the original purpose - scuttling scalpers? supply chain gremlins or trying to channel business buyers to their commercial sales teams?

julesme

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
Reading the comments makes me think it would be interesting to go back and see what impact the ‘08-‘09 recession had across various Apple product lines. I assume that Macs must have been impacted, but was iPhone 3GS even hurt at all given small install base & emerging distribution?

In 2020, I would expect that sales of Macs and other mature products (including iPhone) will get crushed, while AirPods, AirPods Pro, and Apple Watch will be hurt less given they are still growing with a smaller install base.

iPad is difficult to predict as many millions of students worldwide are now studying at home, and parents are upgrading, offsetting the obviously lower demand from the recession. Will parents buy their kids the iPad Pro? I think most will purchase the entry level model.

anshuvorty

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
The new stuff did not sell like they had fantasized it might.
....aaaaaand this makes perfect sense? Why? Simple. Everyone is thinking that the economy is tanking and that we are headed towards a recession. When this thinking happens, people automatically put a stop on buying luxury goods such as Apple products....

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I would like to pick up some things but all things considered, I am a bit more conservative at the moment.
I think a lot of us are in a situation where we have the money for these products, but we look at it like do we really need them right now given the uncertainty of the economy? It’s a natural reaction to ’double check’ yourself about your spending habits, when there is so much instability right now with the financial market, that we try to re-prioritize our spending habits. I admit, I have an impulse when it comes to Apple products, but I’m trying to look at the future and my investments/stocks/property, versus buying the latest Apple gadget. You got to be smart with your money during these unpredictable times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.