Apple Lightning to 30-pin Adapter Video Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by squidcommander, Oct 9, 2012.

1. squidcommander, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012

squidcommander macrumors member

And now without further ado, I introduce to you the most exciting Apple video review ever created!

2. Allenz macrumors member

So it STILL will not charge with old 30-pins connectors that use firewire to charge. LAME! Apple lost a sale here, I have no use for it.

3. squidcommander, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

squidcommander thread starter macrumors member

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Does firewire even work on the 4S and lower?

No offense bud, but FW (400 at least) is dead! There was never FW 800 to 30 pin connector support (I still use FW 800 for other peripherals, though).

Move onto USB ;)

5. squidcommander, Oct 9, 2012

I think he was hoping the adapter would also adapt the FireWire pin out to USB charge like my Scosche adapter does. A lot of car 30 pin cables in cars only charge over the Firwire pin in the connector. I didn't even try because I didn't even think it was a possibility but will try and report back.

6. Daremo macrumors 68020

Daremo

7. squidcommander, Oct 9, 2012

Ha, I meant to say monstrosity. It's not apparent this was one take unscripted right? :)

8. squidcommander thread starter macrumors member

I verified the adapter doesn't support devices that send power over the firewire pin. To support older Apple products you sometimes need multiple adapters. It reminds me of using a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter to a DVI to ADC adapter etc.

9. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Great review man. I figured thats how it would work, and i'm glad i opted to just buy a an extra lightning cable for $19.

For people that use docks and what not....this is just a ridiculous solution.

My buddy just bought a brand new in dash stereo with ipod controls. Thank goodness for him its just got usb inputs, instead of a 30 pin cable hanging out the back of it. he'd cry if he couldn't watch videos through his iphone lol

10. animatedude macrumors 65816

please show us how it looks like with an iPhone 4 dock!

i can't believe the year Apple should've released a new dock for a new connector is the year we don't get a dock at all...

big fail.

11. NickRno77 macrumors regular

You would think Apple would have designed the adapter to work with cases :( would have been easy to have thinned the end that goes into the phone.

12. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Should have come in the box? Why? Most people will never use or need it. It should be cheaper though. I know its not cheap to make as it requires a DAC and probably several chip components but still. Should be sold a little above cost.

13. brdwygurl macrumors regular

This

So basically if I want to use the adapter I can't use a bumper or any case.

I have a wahoo ANT+ fitness key that I use with my phone and heart rate monitor. If I want to continue to use it I need an adapter. But I can't use a case with the adapter. So when I go out running, I can't have my phone in a case....that's just a recipe for disaster

14. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

You have to use the other adapter with the cable. Which sadly is $10 more. But Apple can't size the basic adapter to fit every case out there.

15. NickRno77 macrumors regular

Well that depends what case, some cases have a large cutout, my incipio frequency has three cutouts which would not allow adapter to be inserted. You might get away with a lightning to 30pin adapter cable?

----------

Like I said they could have made the male lightning part the same as the original lightning USB cable that comes with the phone.

16. brdwygurl macrumors regular

I don't mind the cable for things where the phone is sitting....but if I am out running....with my phone in a case....what do I do with a 3.5 foot length of cable? Besides trip over it :p

17. NickRno77 macrumors regular

18. brdwygurl macrumors regular

19. PBLRDom macrumors newbie

What do you need to have plugged into the lightning port when you are out running? Headphones plug into the headphone port...

20. brdwygurl macrumors regular

I have a wahoo ANT+ fitness key that allows me to use my heart rate monitor with several apps (can't use BLE because it's not compatible with my garmin HRM)

http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products/Wahoo-Fitness-Wahoo-Key-for-iPhone.asp

21. squidcommander thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Glad you liked the video! :)

You're joking right? Pretty much everyone has 30 pin devices they will still want to use. I don't understand why some Apple fans will never criticize the company despite what they do. Definite victims of the Apple "Reality Distortion Field" and I'm saying this as a huge Apple fan myself!