"Apple"-like gaming mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Suno, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

A mouse with the beauties of a Mac but with the functionality and performance level of a gaming mouse. Is there a mouse like this available?

And before anyone suggests it, the magic mouse is not a good gaming mouse. Beautiful mouse, but horrible game-performance wise, especially for Starcraft 2. Just damn near impossible to play that game with the magic mouse.

2. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Gaming mice are sort of the anti-thesis of Apple products - which very often promote form over function, with the lack of power LEDs and buttons on their products, the so-called "death grip" of the iPhone4 and so on.

A gaming mouse typically has lots of buttons, often strewn about all over the place, it may have an assortment of LEDs that serve no particular purpose other than to jazz it up visually, and so on.

The Logitech G700 is fairly strict and inconspicuous as far as gaming mice go, so it may be as "Apple-like" as you're likely to find. It's only available in black though, if that's any concern to you. :)

It's also one of the best gaming mice IMO, from an ergonomics perspective it beats the Razer Naga handily for example; it may not have quite as many buttons, but the buttons it has are generally much easier to click thanks to their layout and shape. The thumb buttons are nearly impossible to use quickly on the naga since they're located behind the mouse wheel on top of the mouse, requiring you to change the grip to click them. Very cumbersome.

The G700 is also very comfortable to hold IMO, much better than even the Epic Naga with its replaceable grips, and its wireless receiver (if you want to play cordlessly) is tiny and stows away inside the mouse when not in use, while Razer's is integrated into their fairly hefty lump of a charging dock.

Not sure about OSX driver compatibility though; the Razer has a Mac version (not Lion compatible last time I checked, but they may have fixed that now.) In any case, strictly looking at the mouse, the Logitech is way better.

YMMV, of course.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Any mouse with two physical buttons will work better than the Magic Mouse for SC2.

4. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

+1 for the g700 i use it as my mouse and its great!

5. Suno thread starter macrumors 6502

Suno

Thank you for the replies everyone. I found a mouse that's about as Apple-like as it'll get, even more so than the g700 in my opinion. On first glance, you'd probably think it's a normal mouse, but in actuality it's a pretty sleek gaming mouse so I guess that's about the best I can do with a Mac.

6. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

Which one is it?