Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to order between 250 and 270 million display panels for its iPhone lineup this year, according to sources within Taiwan's panel industry. Around half that number will consist of OLED panels, to be shared among current-model iPhone X orders, a second-generation model, and a larger 6.5-inch iPhone, according to DigiTimes.

iphone-x-oled-800x490.jpg
Apple's purchases of OLED panels in 2018 will reach 110-130 million units, including 70-80 million 5.9-inch units for the current iPhone X and an upgraded version of the same size. The remaining will be 40-50 million 6.5-inch OLED panels for the production of a less expensive model, said the sources.
Given the wording in the above quote from today's DigiTimes article, the "5.9-inch" reference could be overlooked as a typo, but claiming the 6.5-inch OLED panels are for a "less expensive model" seems off the mark.

Several reliable sources claim Apple is readying a second-generation version of the iPhone X with the same 5.8-inch OLED display, along with a larger "Plus" size with a 6.5-inch display. Design wise, both the 5.8-inch iPhone and 6.5-inch iPhone coming in 2018 are expected to look similar to the current iPhone X, with an edge-to-edge display and notch for the TrueDepth camera, glass bodies for wireless charging support, and dual-lens rear cameras.

Along with these two OLED iPhones, which will likely be just as expensive as the current iPhone X, Apple is however said to be planning to introduce a new, more affordable 6.1-inch iPhone with an LCD display, according to reports.

DigiTimes claims 60 to 70 million Low-Temperature PolySilicon (LTPS) LCD panels have been earmarked for this device, and around the same number in 4-inch, 4.7-inch, and 5.5-inch sizes are destined for new iPhone 8, iPhone SE, and iPhone 7 devices this year. Other reports claim Apple could use a Full Active LCD display for an upcoming 6.1-inch device, which could match or exceed some of the benefits of OLED.

Otherwise, today's report reiterates previous OLED supplier rumors for 2018. Apple is said to be sourcing the majority of its OLED displays for the 2018 iPhone lineup from Samsung, but LG Display seeks to become the second-largest supplier in the second half of this year, perhaps providing displays for the 6.5-inch OLED iPhone. Lastly, DigiTimes' sources claim Sharp and Japan Display could become Apple's main suppliers of LCD panels, rather than shoring up extra OLED supplies, as previous report claimed.

Article Link: Apple Likely to Buy 270 Million Display Panels for 2018 iPhone Lineup

airmanchairman

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2017
Basingstoke, UK

Apple plans to order between 250 and 270 million display panels for its iPhone lineup this year, according to sources within Taiwan's panel industry. Around half that number will consist of OLED panels, to be shared among current-model iPhone X orders, a second-generation model, and a larger 6.5-inch iPhone, according to DigiTimes.

iphone-x-oled-800x490.jpg
Given the wording in the above quote from today's DigiTimes article, the "5.9-inch" reference could overlooked as a typo, but claiming the 6.5-inch OLED panels are for a "less expensive model" seems off the mark.

Several reliable sources claim Apple is readying a second-generation version of the iPhone X with the same 5.8-inch OLED display, along with a larger "Plus" size with a 6.5-inch display. Design wise, both the 5.8-inch iPhone and 6.5-inch iPhone coming in 2018 are expected to look similar to the current iPhone X, with an edge-to-edge display and notch for the TrueDepth camera, glass bodies for wireless charging support, and dual-lens rear cameras.

Along with these two OLED iPhones, which will likely be just as expensive as the current iPhone X, Apple is however planning to introduce a new, more affordable 6.1-inch iPhone with an LCD display.

DigiTimes claims 60 to 70 million Low-Temperature PolySilicon (LTPS) LCD panels have been earmarked for this device, and around the same number in 4-inch, 4.7-inch, and 5.5-inch sizes are destined for new iPhone 8, iPhone SE, and iPhone 7 devices this year. Other reports claim Apple could use a Full Active LCD display for an upcoming 6.1-inch device, which could match or exceed some of the benefits of OLED.

Otherwise, today's report reiterates previous OLED supplier rumors for 2018. Apple is said to be sourcing the majority of its OLED displays for the 2018 iPhone lineup from Samsung, but LG Display seeks to become the second-largest supplier in the second half of this year, perhaps providing displays for the 6.5-inch OLED iPhone. Lastly, DigiTimes' sources claim Sharp and Japan Display could become Apple's main suppliers of LCD panels, rather than shoring up extra OLED supplies, as previous report claimed.

Article Link: Apple Likely to Buy 270 Million Display Panels for 2018 iPhone Lineup

Apple must take care to only cater for their needs and their needs only - there is a tendency for those dominating an industry or product line to attempt to "starve the competition of oxygen" by monopolising the global manufacturing inventory using their humongous cash pile to make advance orders - karma is a harsh and unforgiving vixen when least expected to be... a word is enough for the wise.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple must take care to only cater for their needs and their needs only - there is a tendency for those dominating an industry or product line to attempt to "starve the competition of oxygen" by monopolising the global manufacturing inventory using their humongous cash pile to make advance orders - karma is a harsh and unforgiving vixen when least expected to be... a word is enough for the wise.

2b249c69551a49b1d31d135d78d8dc8d.jpg

SoundJudgment

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017
** The remaining will be 40-50 million 6.5-inch OLED panels for the production of a less expensive model, said the sources. **

Really?? A less expensive 6.5" model? Using OLED for the panel?? I am all in!!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think oled panels are the thing of the past thats why apple is buying em cheap.

OLED has been around for years, but I don’t necessarily think it’s a thing of the past yet. I still for Forsee Apple using OLED for at least another two/three years until micro LED can be manufactured on a mass level.

Reactions: tridley68

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
" Other reports claim Apple could use a Full Active LCD display for an upcoming 6.1-inch device, which could match or exceed some of the benefits of OLED."
^^^If true, I doubt Apple would present that way - otherwise that could cannibalized the higher price OLED models.
[doublepost=1521463011][/doublepost]
No thanks, iPhones are already small
also I am sure they want to get away from this battery problems likely related to thin/smaller batteries on the phones

Reactions: dominiongamma

sigbiz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
Can someone explain what if it is OK to have "the notch" Apple could not provide a small fingerprint scanner instead of the flawed facial recognition?

Reactions: unobtainium

AZMecha

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Can someone explain what if it is OK to have "the notch" Apple could not provide a small fingerprint scanner instead of the flawed facial recognition?

Were not going backwards.. Face-Id is the future for at least next 3 generation iPhone/iPad

Reactions: tridley68

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
If holding a 6 oz. phone is a 'lot of weight' to you? You would best rethink your daily exercise regiment. ;)

I was thinking the exact same thing. I hate to bring out the “better hit the weights” response. But the Plus models are not heavy, unless maybe - MAYBE - you’re a three year old. They’re unwieldy to hold because of how large they are, but they’re pretty light as far as.... well, period.
[doublepost=1521467096][/doublepost]

What’s flawed about it? Seriously. I use it everyday and it works tremendously.

Reactions: S_Z and tridley68

Order_66

macrumors member
May 18, 2016
Ohio
Were not going backwards.. Face-Id is the future for at least next 3 generation iPhone/iPad

Face id may be the future but it would make a lot of sense for Apple to also include touch id, either on the back of the device or under the screen for those who prefer touch or just have problems with face id.

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
In a sense, they have, with the iPhone X being slimmer and more narrow, its much more comfortable to hold and manipulate one handed than the iPhone Plus models were.

I think the problem with this argument is that the 5.8 inch X is more like a slightly larger version of the regular 4.7 inch iPhone, just with most of the bezel stripped away. That’s what it is supposed to be compared to, not the Plus like many seem to think. The rumoured 6.5 inch X Plus released later this year is more of a comparison to todays Plus, again just without all the bezel. Apple are just introducing a more up to date regular and Plus model which will be their new lineup for the foreseeable future, along with a more affordable LCD version as the lower tier.
[doublepost=1521471654][/doublepost]You know, I kind of wish Apple stuck with LCD a while longer, just so there’s more likelihood of having a 120Hz refresh rate in this years iPhones like in the iPad Pros. I still don’t think it’s possible yet with OLED. As much as I love deep blacks and better colours, I would much rather have a higher refresh rate in the palm of my hand. It would stand out amongst the competition far more than OLED, seeing as Apples LCD screens are still excellent, well tested and proven tech, even outweighing OLED when it comes to viewing angles and a superior sub pixel layout. Not to mention being brighter displays with less chance of burn in.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
yeah, but the damn thing weighs like you're holding a golden brick.

True, with the combined glass back and stainless bands, it certainly adds to the weight of the X. Surpassingly the iPhone 8 Plus (202 Grams) outweighs the iPhone X (174 Grams) though.

fish09276

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011
yeah, but the damn thing weighs like you're holding a golden brick.
Agree with the weight. I'd rather hold an iphone 7 all day with a slightly less vivid screen and tiny bit smaller screen size than the heavier iphone X. Pocket weight is relatively heavy also.

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
I'm thinking OLED panels make up about 25% of the mix for the upcoming year. Unless Apple is making a much lower cost model then the OLED lineup will continue to start at $1,000 and will likely peak at close to $1,500 for a fully-optioned iPhone X2 Plus. A look at the past quarter shows the supply/demand for the iPhone X had reached equilibrium in early December and total sales were between 20 and 25 million devices. The liklihood of greatly increased demand in the second year is going to be low. I doubt total AMOLED model sales exceed 60 million for FY 2019.

Ming is predicting the 6.1" LCD model will be the most popular, and if it's specs are decent at the rumored $700 price I would certainly go along with that. Apple will very likely keep producing the LCD based 8 and probably the 7 too as low cost models in the $450 - $600 range. The LCD models will continue to make up the substantial majority of iPhone sales until Apple brings out AMOLED devices that appeal to the mainstream customers who are buying $500 - $750 phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.