Apple Likely to Expand Apple Watch Supply Chain Following Third Quarter Sales Growth

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is likely to expand its supply chain for Apple Watch, following significant unit growth for the wearable over the third fiscal consecutive quarter this year (via DigiTimes).

[​IMG]
    During last week's earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook said Apple Watch had seen unit growth of over 50 percent for the third consecutive quarter and "continues to be the best selling and most loved smartwatch in the world".

The fiscal quarter ended September 30, so it's not clear how many Apple Watch Series 3 units were included in the recorded growth and Apple doesn't provide a breakdown of numbers. The Apple Watch Series 3 was released on September 22. Cook also revealed that Apple's entire wearables business was up 75 percent year over year in the fourth quarter, and in fiscal 2017, already generated the annual revenue of a Fortune 400 company.

Apple's upstream suppliers include Quanta Computer, Universal Scientific Industrial (USI), Career Technology, Kinsus Interconnect Technology and E&R Engineering, all of which are expected to see increasing orders for the Apple Watch, according to sources.

Foxconn affiliate ShunSin Technology has also recently landed orders for providing SiP (system in package) packaging services to Apple Watch and are said to begin the supply in March 2018. The fact that ShunSin is entering the supply chain means Foxconn may also have interest in obtaining Apple Watch assembly orders, according to market watchers.

Article Link: Apple Likely to Expand Apple Watch Supply Chain Following Third Quarter Sales Growth

2. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

3. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

If somehow they can add medical monitoring capabilities to the Apple watch, then it will drive growth even higher....

4. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

Makes sense. With cellular and gps its finally a somewhat worthy product. But personally I have played with one and just cant stand trying to navigate on that tiny screen. The phone is all I need.

5. melb00m macrumors regular

I can only recommend anyone interested in the Watch mainly for sport- and fitness-tracking to have a look at Garmin's Fenix lineup. For sports, this is another league than the Apple Watch. Plus it has a round face, always-on display and at least one week of battery life.

6. RedGala macrumors regular

RedGala

Over the past few years, it became clear that the watch is nowhere nearly as useful in native apps than with notifications, quick iMessage responses, and useful modular watch faces. Don’t judge the watch by app navigation, because most people don’t even use those controls on a day to day basis.

7. TimeSquareDesi macrumors 6502

TimeSquareDesi

This comment is over used and dead already but fitting for this post: Apple is DOOMED.

8. iLoveDeveloping macrumors 6502

Got the Apple Watch 0, and returned it after 10 days, couldn't stand how slow and to be honest pointless it was. Apps didn't work, HR was every 10 mins WHEN YOUR NOT MOVING (what the hell is that about? So stupid!) But you know what, the Apple Watch 3 is starting to turn me, its fast has GPS and emergency sos is an amazing feature if needed. Actually think I'll get one for Christmas this year. The more medical capabilities Apple put into this device the more people will want it, if they added a new hardwear feature I would seriously buy a new one every year, version0 was a joke, but they are getting there now with every release, it's really turning into something that could actually change lives and hep people live years longer! I would get a cheaper one like version2 but I actually think seen as I'm not going to buy one every year the version3 is my best best for futurproofing the next 2-3 years without loosing to much functionality.

9. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

Still waiting for the LTE version to be available in my country.

10. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

I do think wearables is the way forward and Apple watch is just the start. I'm extremely tempted to buy one for wife this Xmas. Nearly did last year but figured whats the point if it couldn't be a stand alone device.

This is one area where Apple can truly dominate just like the iPod.

11. steve217 macrumors regular

steve217

Does this “Fortune 400-size” wearables category include the AirPods?

12. Aston441 macrumors 65816

I think many will be disappointed, like I am.

It's still way too iPhone dependant, because very few third party Watch apps work without the phone nearby.

When all the apps work on their own, just on the watch, it will be great, but that probably won't happen for 2-5 years.

13. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

It starting to feel like that. Took a few generations of iPods to see the explosion of market share.

14. decimortis macrumors 6502a

decimortis

I felt the exact same way and got the AW3 GPS on launch day as my first Apple Watch. I tried it for a couple weeks to see if I'd still like it after the "shiny new technology" buzz wore off and loved it even more, so I got my wife one as an early Xmas present. The watch has really helped us get back in shape and I've felt better than I have in years. I know the Garmins are superior in fitness tracking, but the AW was good enough to get a a couple of couch potatoes off their arses. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the AW3.

15. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Making it Android compatible is likely the next move.

You dont go iPhone just for using the AW, but once you enjoy the AW on Android there may be an halo effect at play similar to what the iPod did for the Mac.

16. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

Great point.

17. TimeSquareDesi macrumors 6502

TimeSquareDesi

wondering if i should get one now to pair it with my iphone x or wait until the next generation.... for me personally, i barely/rarely use apps and dont know of a very strong use case to get the watch.... still want it though as a die-hard technologist :)

18. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

The upgrade cycle for the watch is more akin to the ipad. Whereas a major chunk of of iPhone users buy either every year or every other year (me), the watch, like the ipad, gets an upgrade far less frequently. I have a series 0 and am tempted to get the 3, but unless something happens to mine, will probably hold out til the next generation.

19. TimeSquareDesi macrumors 6502

TimeSquareDesi

You are predicting the future.

20. satchmo macrumors 68000

Perhaps, but they're different leagues because they serve two different fitness markets...casual vs. hardcore.

21. Keane16 macrumors 6502a

Keane16

Huge fan of my Apple Watch S0. Workout tracking (weights and cardio), directions (walking and cycling), Apple Pay, Notifications, addictive Activity rings, Complications (especially useful for a busy work schedule, can quickly easily see when my next meeting is), Camera Remote etc. etc. Not surprised these things are selling well with great customer satisfaction.

Wish mine was faster, but it's not slow enough that I'll pay for a new one just yet. Looking forward to see how the product evolves, especially as others have mentioned in terms of medical monitoring.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Aside from the speed not being as fast as the other generations of Apple Watches, the first generation Apple Watch still does everything very well. If you don't have a lot of third party applications, fitness tracking and notifications still work very well.

23. satchmo macrumors 68000

I’ve been tempted to find a cheap used SS AW S0, just for daily wear and leaving the S3 w/GPS to serve my fitness needs.

24. Keane16 macrumors 6502a

Keane16

Yeah definitely. I was an analogue wearer pre-Apple watch and the step up in usefulness is great.

To be honest even on a faster watch I’m not sure how many apps I’d actually use. One thing the speed would help is Siri activation. Sometimes take a second to fire up which kills the UX. And the watch is the device I use Siri the most.

That’s a really interesting idea. Damn it you’re costing me money.

25. toptekjon macrumors regular

toptekjon

I had the exact same thoughts. I also purchased the very first Apple Watch and returned it but I know have the series 3 and absolutely love it. Way faster and way more useful than the original, and in my experience at least the battery is far far better. I can easily go 2 days on one charg now, where with the original it was a struggle to get through one day.