Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is likely to retain the all-plastic lens system used in the iPhone X for its 2018 iPhone range, according to respected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

In a research note for KGI Securities, obtained by MacRumors, Kuo said he disagrees with market speculation that Apple will implement a 7P (seven-lens plastic) or a 2G3P (two-glass, three plastic) lens design for the rear-facing camera modules in next year's iPhone line-up.

iphonexcameradesign.jpg
With its rear camera specs, iPhone X has managed to strike a phenomenal balance between picture quality and form factor design, in our opinion, given how far we've come today technologically. Switching from a 6P lens to a 7P lens or a 2G3P hybrid lens, with camera module design largely similar to iPhone X's, would make for only limited improvements in aperture performance, we believe.
In addition, Kuo believes that moving to a new 7P or hybrid lens design would incur unnecessary risk on the supply of iPhones in 2018, and Apple is unlikely to make any manufacturing choices that could bring about a repeat of the supply constraints related to this year's iPhone X.

Should Apple retain the 6P lens design on its 2018 iPhones, Kuo thinks Apple supplier Largan can expect slightly higher market share, although its leading market position will likely remain unchanged. The company commands the world's largest lens capacity, while its prowess in design and assembly can be carried toward upgrades of future generations of 7P lens or hybrid lens.

The iPhone 7 Plus was the first handset to adopt the dual-lens design, which includes a wide angle and a telephoto lens, while the iPhone 8 Plus builds on the improved performance by using a more advanced sensor module. The iPhone X camera basically uses the same design as the iPhone 8 Plus, with the exception of an additional optical image stabilization component for the telephoto lens.

Article Link: Apple Likely to Retain iPhone X Dual-Lens Camera Design for 2018 iPhones

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
Hello Captain Obvious!

Considering the fact that it's November and the 2017 iPhones is yet to be available, I don't think anyone's gonna be disappointed rather glad that their dire expensive devices aren't outdated in 9 months. Neither Apple is changing things in 9 months.

So, "Duh..!"

Last edited:
Reactions: HacKage

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
I don't think there's gonna be a new X model next year. All this talk about not using new components for camera and FaceID is because of that.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
The next upgrade from the X is going to be an 'S' model so of course it will be the same. Most likely better waterproofing, better cameras and a faster Face ID.

Do I now count as an expert analyst?

Reactions: Avieshek

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
They’re saying “should” and “if”... all major hardware decisions (the camera qualifies as major) for the September 2018 phones are locked in, the smaller decisions will shortly be locked in a matter of days ahead of Apple’s holiday shutdown.

Reactions: sidewinder3000

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Shouldn't the outer lens be 1G already? as in Sapphire glass?

Or was the Sapphire glass lens deprecated years ago? I actually don't see a spec detailing it anymore.

Nr123*123

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2014
Yet, still no explanation as to why the 8 Plus doesn’t have dual OIS. For £800 you’d think that should be included.

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
C'mon Apple, why be cheap? We already pay what you ask for, directly switch to all-glass lens design. What happened to the early days of light years ahead?

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
So is he going to present a new component that‘s going to stay the same every day?

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
If co
I don't think there's gonna be a new X model next year. All this talk about not using new components for camera and FaceID is because of that.
Of course there will be. It will be the actual iPhone X. This year is more like a big beta test, they will fix most of the issues in time for September 2018.
[doublepost=1509622920][/doublepost]
Shouldn't the outer lens be 1G already? as in Sapphire glass?

Or was the Sapphire glass lens deprecated years ago? I actually don't see a spec detailing it anymore.
That is not a lens, just a lens cover. You can see it’s completely flat, and dramatically bigger than the lenses underneath.

HacKage

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Bold prediction, Ming-Chi. Bold prediction.
"But look at how many of his predictions are correct..."

I predict the sun will rise early tomorrow, and set a number of hours later. 100% successful predictions. Sick of hearing about the guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.