Apple likes jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphoneos, Jun 12, 2011.

1. iphoneos macrumors newbie

iphoneos

:apple:

I was thinking that apple can patch jailbreak almost immediately after the tool is release to jailbreakers, but not apple wants to see what dev come up with in order to "borrow" some ideas from them.

Its good though, dont get me wrong im not saying that this is right I mean apple needs to come up with its own ideas. more tweaks apple does less jailbreakers Don't you think?

Some example:

Call log
    Wi-fi Sync
    Notifications
    Camera tweaks
    Among others

Share your thoughts

2. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

It surprises me that you've been "marked down" for this post because I've always held the opinion that Apple have jailbroken iPhone's at Cupertino and check out the latest tweaks and Cydia apps, simply because it lets them see what the community is up to, what's hot, and what would be a welcome addition in future.

I think you'd need to be pretty naive to believe that Apple have never checked out a jailbroken iPhone.

3. genexrocket macrumors regular

Well I think it was just common sense progress. Jailbreak or not, stuff like wifi syncing and more camera options are obvious upgrades for the next generation iOS.

4. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I don't think they obsess over it, especially this late in the game. The carriers are the one's having a ***** fit about it.

But that being said, I agree with you, there are definitely some jailbroken devices on campus.

Then again, Steve Jobs is probably carrying around an iPhone 6, so who the hell knows what's available on that campus...

5. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Agreed, and I never would imagine they "obsess" over jailbreaking, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that Cydia and it's apps/tweaks have been looked at within Cupertino simply to gauge what the community is doing and what the community are adding to their iPhones in terms of features.

It would, especially earlier, have given them an idea of the kind of features users want to see. When and whether we see them, well ... that's another topic.

6. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Apple have an image to live up to. They have to say that the jailbreaking of iPhones voids warranty, is not permitted, etc. But then again, Apple devs do it, everyone does it, it's easily erased with a restore and they haven't really bothered to fix the loopholes that allow for it to occur.

It's like the iTunes Match service. They say "songs you ripped from CDs" but really everyone knows 80% of its users will just be matching pirated songs.

7. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Apple looses virtually nothing in the grand scheme of things. You still bought the phone, you still use their OS, and chances are you still have "legit" apps in addition to the JB apps which they make money off of.

As has been said, the JB community offers free R&D (to an extent) and insight on what the power users want out of the OS.

The carriers.... yeah they probably don't like it so much. But I don't like them so much either.

8. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the most recent jailbreak exploit is a hardware exploit that apple can't patch...

9. reactions macrumors 6502

reactions

There are many apple store employees that are jailbroken

They are instructed to hide the changes in store

10. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Things like wifi sync and improvements to the lock screen were "captain obvious" features in my book, so I'm not really moved by a dev claiming his idea was pinched.

But in the big picture, I agree that Apple's attitude towards jailbreaking isn't what their PR people would like the general public to believe.

Jailbreaking gives Apple an "expert mode" for iOS that is clearly "use at your own risk". Those that do it either know what their getting into, or at least know that Apple isn't going to help them if things go pear-shaped. So Apple can focus their customer service on the big 90% (regular users), and have the perfect testbed for edgy ideas with little risk.

As for patching JB exploits, I think it depends on the exploit. Some exploits (like the iOS 4.0 exploit using PDF's on a website) have to be patched immediately due to the risk of that exploit being used maliciously against regular users. But more complex exploits (that require physical possession of the device) are less of a public risk, and so fixing that security hole takes a back seat for a while. (again, this is just my opinion of their attitude).

11. Hueyfreeman macrumors regular

I am happy that apple waste countless man hours to make sure I cannot install the apps I want on my 200$+ purchase. I thinl they should have an option on the phone that gives you a warning that by clicking the following option you have voided your warranty.

12. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

So how come nobody is saying the dude that made the jailbreak wifi sync app stole it from Microsoft from Windows Phone 7?

13. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

The carriers don't like anything that cuts into their giant profit margins. The U.S. carriers are especially bad.