Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is scaling back Apple Watch and AirPods try-on options at some of its retail stores as part of an effort to cut down on the spread of coronavirus, reports Business Insider.

airpodsproinear.jpg

Customers can still ask to try on Apple Watch and AirPods models, but employees have been told not to offer try-ons proactively or to encourage them. Limited try-ons are part of Apple's broader efforts to fight the coronavirus outbreak, which has infected more than 1,000 people in the United States.

As was reported earlier this week, Apple has ordered extra cleanings of display products throughout the day, introduced hand sanitizing stations, and has reduced the number of chairs at the Genius Bar and cubes in the Forum area to add additional space between customers.

In areas with more severe coronavirus outbreaks, such as the San Francisco Bay Area and Seattle, Today at Apple sessions have been shut down entirely. An Apple spokesperson confirmed that Apple is indeed limiting crowding in stores, but declined to specifically comment on try-ons.

Apple Stores in the United all remain open at the current time, but in other areas hit hard by the coronavirus, Apple has closed retail locations. Stores in China were closed for much of February, and right now, all stores in Italy are closed.

Article Link: Apple Limits AirPods and Apple Watch Try-Ons in Retail Stores to Prevent Coronavirus Spread

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Finally some common sense!!

They’re cleaned after each use with alcohol wipes regardless, and the rubber parts are one-time use only and tossed after the demo.

I’m sorry I think allowing it in the first place was a VERY risky move would could’ve led to someone having infection, a rash or even hearing loss/pain because I doubt store reps are resetting to lower volume after each cleaning before next user tries.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
1. I would feel weird about trying these on in an Apple store, even without COVID-19.

2. I really like the subtle layout changes on the MacRumors mobile site recently. Thanks!
100%. I could never see myself trying on an earpod that someone else tried on previously. Apple Watch is different, however, it's good to know Apple has a program in place to keep things as safe as possible.

Reactions: kironin

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
That's probably not the dirtiest surfaces. I'm assuming they wipe the iPhone, iPad and other Apple devices every night. All those runny nose kids playing with the devices at the store.

Reactions: SBlue1 and bobob

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

I’m sorry I think allowing it in the first place was a VERY risky move would could’ve led to someone having infection, a rash or even hearing loss/pain because I doubt store reps are resetting to lower volume after each cleaning before next user tries.
How so? If the rubber part is disposed of between wearing and the rest is wiped in alcohol, it’s probably got fewer germs on it than anything else you touch in a given day.

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
It would be an ambulance chaser's wet dream. "My client suffered as a result of contracting COVID-19 from communally shared airpods in your store!"
The modern day price of success is endless law suits for anything they can think up to drain you.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
How so? If the rubber part is disposed of between wearing and the rest is wiped in alcohol, it’s probably got fewer germs on it than anything else you touch in a given day.

Yet that is NOT what I've seen at Apple stores (Yorkdale/Eaton Centre) here in Toronto; the rubber is kept on and wiped. Also your ear canal is NOT the only part of your ear that the AirPods or AirPod Pro's touch.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Yet that is NOT what I've seen at Apple stores (Yorkdale/Eaton Centre) here in Toronto; the rubber is kept on and wiped. Also your ear canal is NOT the only part of your ear that the AirPods or AirPod Pro's touch.
I would report that to the leader on the floor for the employee not following procedure.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
The wipes are likely in short supply right now. I picked up a new box yesterday (I'm diabetic and need to use a wipe when I insert a new CGM sensor) and there weren't many boxes left. The hoarders are even going for those even though they're not great for hand cleaning.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
Never, ever, would I ‘try on’ demo AirPods in an Apple store. I don’t care if they’re sanitized/cleaned or not, It’s flat out disgusting.
Plus, it's just plain unsanitary. Really, people do need to think for themselves now and then. Just because Apple is offering the "once in a lifetime chance at a free ear infection", that doesn't mean you need to take them up on it.

Reactions: 44267547

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
It would be an ambulance chaser's wet dream. "My client suffered as a result of contracting COVID-19 from communally shared airpods in your store!"
The modern day price of success is endless law suits for anything they can think up to drain you.
We'll be seeing commercials on tv soon.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
I didn't know Apple cleaned the pods with alcohol wipes. Their site mentions it's ok to use wipes on the case, but the pods have different instructions.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Never, ever, would I ‘try on’ demo AirPods in an Apple store. I don’t care if they’re sanitized/cleaned or not, It’s flat out disgusting.

Ever use an office or public telephone? What about talking on somebody else's smartphone?

Not only do you get ear contact, you get mouth contact.

Reactions: SBlue1

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
Ever use an office or public telephone? What about talking on somebody else's smartphone?

Not only do you get ear contact, you get mouth contact.
Public telephones haven't been in use for over a decade now (at least in most countries). Thank god for that, because as you correctly stated, that was pretty disgusting too.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
That's probably not the dirtiest surfaces. I'm assuming they wipe the iPhone, iPad and other Apple devices every night. All those runny nose kids playing with the devices at the store.

I worked at a NYC Flagship Apple Store for 4 years and can tell you everyone has different methods when it comes to cleaning and the cleaning should happen throughout the day, but only really happens at the end of the day.

It’s pretty gross.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I'm no scientist, but I'd hazard a guess that you're far more likely to get fecal matter on your fingers by touching the keyboards and screens of in-store Macs and iPhones than you are to get ear cooties from in-store AirPods.

Reactions: arkitect

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012

You can tell when putting earphones on that the volume was rising, so really a non issue.
As for sharing earphones, if using wipes with the appropriate liquid in it then that will lessen the risk. Perhaps a soapy wash followed by a handwashing type alcohol wipe.

I'd rather see scientific results than hearsay on forums before deciding on the level of risk.

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.