Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

123254-ipad_4_2_profile.jpg

Digitimes reports on several Taiwan-based companies that have been picked to supply parts for the upcoming iPad 3.
Taiwan-based IC design houses Novatek Microelectronics, Richtek Technology, Capella Microsystems (Taiwan) and Integrated Memory Logic (iML) have reportedly entered the supply chain for iPad 3, according to industry sources.
The exact companies aren't likely of much interest to our readers, but Digitimes also claims that Apple seems more willing to use integrated circuits from Taiwan-based manufacturers "as it is adjusting the cost structure for iPad tablets in order to compete with an array of tablet PCs to be launched by rivals in the second half of 2011."

It's not entirely clear what this will mean to the customer in the end. Lower cost parts may mean less expensive iPads, but it may simply offer more capabilities at the same price. Apple's roadmap for the iPad 3 remains unclear as there have been numerous conflicting reports about the iPad 3's capabilities and release date.

Article Link: Apple Lining Up iPad 3 Suppliers in Face of Increasing Number of Competitors

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
ipad 3 is going to rule the world if they get their content providers sorted. Stil no proper magazine or feed subscirptions here in euroland. Can't get fortune or Time magazine on iPad subscription.

Would also love a retina display iPad3 navigation that can use a bluetooth rearview camera :)

SoftDel

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
I have a feeling feeling this will be more features for the same price, the other tablets are just as expensive.

Also it may give apple leeway on price, depending on the cost of the Amazon tablet (If/When it is released)

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
ipad 3 is going to rule the world if they get their content providers sorted. Stil no proper magazine or feed subscirptions here in euroland. Can't get fortune or Time magazine on iPad subscription.

Content is one thing, I just hope "willing to use..." doesn't mean "wiling to compromise" I would hate to lose quality to save a few bucks.

deadlystriker

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
The likelihood of an ipad refresh / update this year seems high. Many rumors about it, we'll see.

fluffylion

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
i remember before ipad2. one "insider" with good record saying ipad2 would be a bump up, and ipad3 is the one to look out for. hope that is true

sadly i dont see any hope for connecting to external hard-drives, optical drives to fully replace PCs. but oh well. two tears in a bucket....

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
It's going to be a very Apple Christmas this year. :)

In addition to the iPad HD, iPhone 4s, and updated iPod Touch, I hope we see a significant upgrade to AppleTV. I have the 1.0 version, but looking to upgrade if there's a refresh this fall. I'm guessing there will be. :D

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
Apple and compromise? Who know's they made some stupid compromises in the past but I hope their current success shows them that single minded drive for excellence and use experience is the reason they are successful.

As for content, well I don't know. Perhaps it is because that is my business, or perhaps I ran out of pointless apps to buy for the iPad that I now look for true content and without it my iPad lies on couch untouched. A nice buy for gadget minded but not sure they will keep the competition at bay without strong content worldwide. Pretty sure Apple wants not just app freaks and gadget nerds, they want the rest of the world as well.

Content is one thing, I just hope "willing to use..." doesn't mean "wiling to compromise" I would hate to lose quality to save a few bucks.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Nice that Apple isn't being complacent, they are the leaders but they should not relax.

usptact

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
It means that iPad will cost as much as they are now. Cheaper components due to lined up supply chains? Great! The bigger margin will be announced by Apple at the end of another quarter.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
The iPad will be the first tablet to break 300+dpi. My wish is it comes out the same time as iPhone 5, ie mid September.

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Jobs said that 2011 was the year of the iPad 2.

I am not using that as proof that there is no iPad coming this year but rather to say they shouldn't release one this year.

They deliberately lead their customers to believe that this was the only iPad coming this year and it was a massive success. If they had said nothing or had said that there was an iPad coming in 6 months would people have bought it?

If they come out with a major refresh after I bought two iPad 2s based on Steve Job's word I am going to be pissed.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Maybe they are locking in the parts and perhaps even starting manufacture of the iPad 3 later this year so that when they ship it in March 2012 they won't have the horrible supply bottlenecks that have plagued them with iPads 1 and 2.

NiroNavro

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
I think that Apple is gonna hit it hard for the holidays. Especially with the release of iOS 5.

MattyO

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
SJ's word?

Jobs said that 2011 was the year of the iPad 2.

If they come out with a major refresh after I bought two iPad 2s based on Steve Job's word I am going to be pissed.

you took SJ's word? Surely you must have realized there was a possibility the Ipad 3 could come out before the end of the year (just in time for Christmas).

If you didn't ... well what can I say.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
"as it is adjusting the cost structure for iPad tablets in order to compete with an array of tablet PCs to be launched by rivals in the second half of 2011."

What's going to change next month? We're already in the second half of 2011.

We've already seen "an array" of tablet PCs. They are about as far from competitive as you can get.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Rumours say iPad 3 this year. Jobs says 2011 year of iPad 2. I believe Jobs on this one.
It's ridiculous how people take a presentation slide to interpret whatever they want to believe!

Steve never said that there won't be any other tablet product to be released except for the the current iPad 2. The linked slide said "2011: Year of the iPad 2".

If iPad 2 has been sold for more than half of the year, one could say it has been the year of the iPad 2.

If the numbers of the iPad 2 exceed those of a potential iPad 3 (or iPad 2 HD) it would still be the year of the iPad 2.

If Apple would release an iPad 2 HD it would also still be the year of the iPad 2.

There are dozens of possibilities - even a non-native speaker like myself can understand that!

Oh and btw: business is war - an experienced boss like Steve would not give away too much information too soon!

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
This could be part of a ramp up for a holiday release, but I think it might be Apple just being over cautious and planning ahead. I'm sure that the shortage of iPad 2s available at launch (and for weeks after) was embarrassing to some at Apple and it definitely affected how many they could sell.

I could easily see them negotiating with suppliers and doing small test runs of components now as part of a well planned ramp up to ship millions of devices in Q1 2012.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I'm hoping for same price-point; Apple's speciality is on premium products, and I think that a cheapness war could ruin the iPad. The most important thing is getting the production volumes up to avoid shortages or delays, as otherwise the product basically sells itself.

VitaminD

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
New York
I take "using IC's from Taiwan based manufacturers" to mean more capabilities at the same price point and not that there would be a risk of lower quality considering that Taiwanese components tend to be of the highest quality.

As a note, the Macbook Air line uses Taiwanese ICs.

So it looks like the iPad 3 will be well worth the wait. :)

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
The Apple pricing structure

The iPads, like all other Apple products, will almost assuredly NEVER GO DOWN IN PRICE. Nothing ever does (there are a handful of exceptions). They always keep the price the same, but add "more" features or new technology. Price of 1996 PowerMac 7100/66: $2500, price of base Mac Pro tower 2011: $2500.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.