Apple liquid damage repair experiences?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sophie anne, Apr 11, 2014.

1. sophie anne macrumors newbie

Hello all!

About a week and a half ago, I managed to spill some soda on/into my laptop. It was a LOT of soda and the laptop shut itself down before I got to it, so I can't help but think there was quite a bit of soda in there! Oops...

Fortunately the repair has been completely covered by insurance (Tier 4 quoted at $755 by Apple). It's currently off getting rebuilt.

Does anybody on here has any experience with how Apple does their liquid damage repairs? I'm pretty worried that they'll have missed something and that I'm going to experience issues with this laptop down the road (that won't be covered by insurance). For that matter, shouldn't all of the guts of my laptop be replaced, because of the corrosive nature of the soda? How is that cheaper than a new laptop and not what they call "beyond economical repair?"

Any experiences, advice, etc. are welcome!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

They replace or repair what is damaged. In my guess, it is probably the keyboard, logic board, and maybe the DVD drive if equipped (cMBP). Maybe more if the trackpad sustained damage.

3. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

My son is at college, and somehow "brown liquid" entered his Macbook Air. They did the Tier 4 repair for the same price (luckily his student insurance covered it), and its been fine since. About 6 months.