Apple, listen up! Wallpaper on main screen PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tony-in-japan, Jul 27, 2008.

1. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

I have had my iPhone 3G for a few days now and think it is great. However, there are a few things which hinders user enjoyment.

One of them is I wish I could use a full screen photo on my main screen like I had on my old non-Apple mobile. I mean, people love to put their favourite photos of their kids, family, loved ones to see often. I don’t need to see x20 icons which gives me instant access to all areas. It is ugly. Yes, Apple, listen: “It is ugly!”

Just give me four icons at the bottom and the option to choose a nice photo to see each day. Once I press the ‘home’ button, then it would be convenient to have ‘all’ the icons pop up (or even shimmie through with a swoosh sound effect).

Anyone else wish they could have this option? (and no, I don’t want to jailbrake my iPhone, thanks).

2. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

We/People, have been asking for that since the 1st Gen. iPhone.. that was one of the main perks to jailbreaking, you were able to do full customizing..

If it's that big a deal perhaps you should just return your iPhone and go with a phone that allows that style of customizing, because it's doubtful Apple will ever add it as a feature..

3. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

No thanks. Then we'll have to have a thread about people's iPhone wallpapers in the Picture Gallery and it will just go south from there. Apple is saving you from yourself. Stop trying to junk up your phone.

4. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

5. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

So in the iphone walkthrough video, when it shows this "Use as Wallpaper" button (below), what does it actually do if you can't have a wallpaper on the main screen? (I don't have an iphone yet btw)

[​IMG]

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

lock screen wallpaper
    [​IMG]

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

You'd have better luck yelling for Apple to "listen up" while standing in the middle of the Sahara after rush hour.

I don't know about you, but I'll bet most people probably hit the home button to wake the phone up. So you're saying we should hit the home button to wake the phone up, only see 4 icons, then hit it again to see all the icons?

Phone Phail.

8. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

Thank you! :)

9. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

This is such a rubbish response... what harm would it do to let users customize their phone a little!

The wallpaper galleries on here are great and many have a great time sharing what interests or inspires them visually.

I think 'junk' is a harsh evaluation of this topic.

TO THE OP:

I'm sure someone, somewhere is working on an official app for the App Store so this feture can be added if not in a future update from apple.

I for one look forward to its addition!

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

not interested. I would rather have cut/paste before this and I don't even care about cut/paste.

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Well, no third-party app will be able to do this since it violates the iPhone App agreement.

12. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

seconded

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Your wallpaper is your lock screen. It's the same as most other phones; you have your wallpaper with some light info and you then hit a button to access your menus. Apple won't implement your "four-button Home screen" idea, and the App Store can't help you with getting an image behind the icons.

14. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

"Apple, listen up! Wallpaper on main screen PLEASE!!!"

tony-in-japan: Why don't you actually tell Apple then? This maybe an 'Apple' forum, but it is not 'Apples' forum. And even on Apples own forum, they don't actually read it.
    They are far more likely to take notice of feedback provided here however:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

15. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Ugh. No no no no no.

If I had a home-screen background it would have to be one that's made special for the home screen. I think all those jailbroken phones look lame as hell. If I wanted something that looked cool to a 14-year-old and a 14-year-old only I would've bought an LG Chocolate...

16. wronski macrumors 6502

Save your subjective and baseless opinion. I'm thinking of Jailbreaking mine and customizing the entire home screen myself; by no means does that mean it's going to be "lame as hell."

Here's a thread of screen shots with other people doing something similar: http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16781377&p=149

Sure, if Apple opens up the iPhone for further customization there will probably be people walking around with corny looking themes but if that makes them happy then why in the world do you care?

17. tony-in-japan thread starter macrumors regular

Are those against this idea just lacking in *imagination*?

Erh, sorry, but speak for yourself. What I had in mind was simplifying the home screen with less icons and a nice photo from my photographic collection. I know it is possible to move your icons to another screen, but why not have the option to replace the black with an image?

Well, you can customize what initial 4 icons you want. I am sure what we do on a regular basis can fit into 4 choices via 4 icons. Geez, if your finger is already on the ‘home’ button, tell me: how difficult is it to press it again? Apple is known for esthetic elegance, but is filling the whole screen full of icons adhering to that principle?

Call me a cynic, but I am sure Apple wouldn’t want a wallpaper of your beloveds covering those sacred iTunes and App Store icons on that home screen!

In your own mind, I guess it would look pretty bad, but in my mind it would be an opportunity for something much more interesting that just a screen full of x20 icons. I mean, how boring is that? Everyone’s iPhone looks the *same*. And I thought users of Apple products were creative and individually inclined... well, maybe I was wrong.

18. ktemkin macrumors newbie

This is a pretty stupid complaint and, as a result, minimizes all the other "real" issues that need to be fixed on the iPhone3G.

His "scream," beginning with "Apple, listen up!" and ending with "PLEASE!!!", is ludicrous. Are you dying because you don't have this feature? Is the phone completely unusable?

This would have been much more appropriately phrased as a simple suggestion, not a plaintive wail.

And, with the iPhone now having been out for more than a year, the buyer had a perfect opportunity to educate himself about this feature, or lack thereof, before he bought the phone. He apparently did not.

19. DJ88 macrumors regular

Damn you two suck.

Thank god you don't have any say in the design of any product in the world.

What's wrong with giving people choice, you may not like it, but other people do. Giving them the option makes them happy, and you guys simply don't use it. Now everyones happy. If Apple thought like you guys then we would still have the same software that came with the first iPhone, with no apps, no home screen customization, nothing changed at all from the 1.0 first day software.

20. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I am so with you on this tony. I personally would be happy with a big clock, my appointments for the day, and a four-button launcher at the bottom. All with the background picture of your choice, of course. App store and itunes would simply be a second click of the home button away.

21. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

i dont think that it would be a hard thing to imagine. four items in the dock. like phone, mail, ipod, and APPS. then you touch 'apps' and you get another screen with all of the standard apps and that could look like the home menu does now.

22. tony-in-japan thread starter macrumors regular

Flexibility and progress are key to technology

Dude, I think you have been hanging around too long on rumour forums to be able to comprehend the distinction between members making a optional suggestion and a ranting complaint.

And if you bothered to read and understand my words properly, I did say the iPhone was ‘great’ and was discussing user enjoyment; not non-functionality.

Ktemkin, to correct you, the iPhone has only been out in my country for just over two weeks now.

Plus, your suggestion of educating myself with a model which is not even the same as the 2nd version (via the net) is just plain silly, as newer products evolve and become better with more options. Unless you simply know the new model will have exactly the same features/options as the previous one, as you have assumed (which is unlikely especially within the technology industry).

Thank you.

I guess some people have lost touch with Apple’s design philosophy of simplicity and elegance. Being able to be creative and customise your working space is an integral aspect of the Apple experience. What was that proverb? Ah, yes, ‘Without vision, people perish.’

23. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i don't wanna get involved in the arguments goin on here, but i personally think it would be a good idea.

ye i wanna easily get to my apps, but wouldn't mind pressing the home key another time to bring them all up and just having the basic call, text, safari and ipod at the bottom (or maybe customising that to any 4 you want) with a nice picture on the screen. or at least a picture/different colour behind the icons

24. TechJunky macrumors regular

I concur. It seems silly to have the menu as the home screen, and my wallpaper to go on a screen that I only briefly see before I unlock.

25. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I would like to see more practical changes made before aesthetic ones.

Things like allowing us to create folders, or even page link icons. What I mean by that is if we could create an icon to place on the main page and call it "Games". Then when you click on it, it automatically takes you to page 5.

Beyond that though, some kind of folders solution seems like it will be needed. With the number of apps out now and how many will be out in the next year, thinking about what to do with the space behind the icons is not even on my radar, until we have real solutions for better managing the icons themselves. I already have 50+ icons and will probably double that by the end of the year.

So I would prefer they get us a good solution to manage home page icons better so there is actually some place to view wallpaper.