Apple LiveType text effect

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jhero, May 5, 2009.

1. jhero macrumors 6502

jhero

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could point me towards the right direction to get my text effects to be similar to the one that Apple use in their videos here

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/

I'm looking for the effect where the letters reveal themselves

Thank you

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As far as I know, the text effect used in the tutorials (if you mean them) is a behaviour in Motion which can be applied to text in the Motion canvas.

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

If you're just talking about the tutorials page, and the left to right fade in have you even tried yet? I'm not near my mac right now, but it should be pretty simple. Play around with it... you'll figure it out.

If you're also talking about the mirror effect of the text, google for a tutorial on this... you can do this within Final Cut after you render your text in live type.

( Or as one of the other posters said, you can do it all in Motion as well )

4. jhero thread starter macrumors 6502

jhero

Hey guys,

Thanks for responding.

If you take a look at the Hollywood video, near the beginning where the camera swings around the sign, I would be talking about that text effect followed by its gradual fade out and replacement of a different title

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

You're talking about in "Everybody hates Chris" where "Everybody Hates Chris" turns into "HD from start to finish"?

In livetype that is 4 actions....
    1. Wipe in from left to right with the text1,
    2. then Fuzz/Blur out text1
    3. Wipe in left to right text2 simultaneously with #2
    4. Fade out text 2

( I don't remember the actual names for the Livetype actions/behaviors so bare with me )

Hope that helps!

6. huntercr macrumors 65816

Actually I might be wrong about the actual order and method of those... too bad you can't step through that video, that's annoying.

It could be simpler than that... play around with the actions/behaviors of livetype text. Really, in terms of learning curve, it's much simpler than Final Cut was to learn, so if you've already mastered that you're home free.

7. jhero thread starter macrumors 6502

jhero

Thanks for the help,

I've managed to actually get something close to it but it still doesn't look as clean as the apple version. Mine appears as if the new text is writing itself on while simultaneously erasing the old text with an ugly blur effect :/

Any extra help would be appreciated; I could upload my livetype file in case anyone would have more suggestions

Thanks

8. huntercr macrumors 65816

Ok I finally sat down and actually did this tonight...
    create
    Track2: "Everybody Hates Chris" using Fades->Fade in
    Track1: "HD from start to finish" using Fades->Fade in

Track2: Fades->Fade out simultaneously with Track1

OK now here's the tougher part.... you need to dial down Track1's fade in "sequence" to zero so that it doesn't fade in at all, just does the blur effect.
    Then adjust the speed down to where you want it and then slide the end of the fade out to match where you want it on the T1 fade in.

Now finally on the T2 fade out, play with the sequence percent and speed until it matches what you're looking for.

This is what I settled on...

[​IMG]

And the resulting render: ( I put the quality low of course when I encoded this but you get the picture )
    HatesChris.mov

Hope this helps! Good luck!