Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is looking to begin iPad production in India by participating in a new government proposed scheme to increase India's exports of computer parts and products, according to sources cited by Reuters.

iPad-pro-top-feature.jpg

Last year, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a new PLI (performance-linked incentive) scheme to encourage major companies, such as Apple, to produce more products in the country. The scheme has a government budget of nearly $1 billion and offers suppliers and manufacturers a cashback for exports.

The new scheme, reported today, is aimed directly at boosting the production of IT products such as tablets, laptops, and servers. Apple is reportedly among a group of companies lobbying the Indian government to increase the budget of the new proposal to $2.7 billion, to compensate for the lack of supply chain infrastructure needed to produce IT products, such as tablets and the iPad.

A source cited by Reuters says that the Indian government "is asking Apple to get iPads assembled by its contract manufacturers here, the non-Chinese companies." Currently, three Apple suppliers operate in the country: Foxconn, Wistron, and Pegatron. Out of the three, it's not clear which one would be responsible for producing the iPad, or which iPad model would be produced.

A report by Nikkei Asia last month reported similar ambitions by Apple to increase local production of the iPad, alongside the iPhone and Mac in India. The report cited production beginning as early as the middle of this year, which seems to line up with the expected announcement of the new Indian PLI scheme.

A number of Apple suppliers have already begun operations in India. Last year, iPhone supplier Pegatron reportedly increased its investment in India to $150 million, and an earlier report cited that Apple may be planning to produce up to $40 billion worth of smartphones in the country.

Despite the efforts by the tech-giant to boost the production of products outside of China and into India, recent riots have put a dampener on the pace of those efforts. In December, workers at a factory owned by supplier Wistron went on a rampage, ransacking and damaging the site over claims of unpaid wages. In response, Apple placed the supplier on probation and found that it had violated its "Supplier Code of Conduct." Apple has yet to remove the supplier from probation.

Article Link: Apple Lobbies Indian Government to Begin Local iPad Production

Last edited:

Freeangel1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
If you have to lobby a country to produce your product are you choosing the right country? No body has to lobby Vietnam to build products. So you're throwing money at a country to produce your product? is there a shortage of unemployed workers in India?

• Disagree
Reactions: uther
Comment

d5aqoëp

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2016
If you have to lobby a country to produce your product are you choosing the right country? No body has to lobby Vietnam to build products. So you're throwing money at a country to produce your product? is there a shortage of unemployed workers in India?
What are you on about? Every (LARGE) company would want a decent deal from govt for their business to be stable and sustainable. Since China is neither stable nor sustainable, Apple has diverted it's attention to India. Isn't that the standard procedure for all businesses around the world?

Comment

Frign

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
You are forgetting one thing: India is forcing Apple to produce there, because they otherwise are more or less barred from the market (see this article from 2016, but the mentioned waiver didn't come to fruition). I'd love to see this in other countries as well, so we see more diverse supply-chains and avoid another ****-show that was 2020 in regard to breaking supply-chains.

When India enacts economic protectionism, everyone cheers and calls it their free choice, but when anyone brings it up here in the west for western countries, they're criticized and, in the worst case, called an extremist.

I'd really love to see manufacturing move back into the EU and US, despite the higher prices.

Comment

Captain Trips

macrumors demi-god
Jun 13, 2020
I'd really love to see manufacturing move back into the EU and US, despite the higher prices.

Same here. I used to work for an American privately owned textile & chemical manufacturing company after I graduated college, and since then I try to buy American, and spend money locally, whenever I can. It has gotten harder to buy American, though, as the years have gone by and manufacturing jobs have left the US.

And yes, just like the post I quoted, I do realize that moving manufacturing back to the US and countries in the EU will raise prices. But it will also provide better paying jobs than the gig economy or working in the service industry (for the most part).

Comment

citysnaps

macrumors G3
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Can we get Tim Apple's formal opinion on this process? Or is he too busy counting his money?

No, he's busy making sure Apple can meet the demand for Apple products; such as manufacturing/testing/shipping roughly 600,000 iPhones every single day of the year (on the average) to customers all around the world.

I've never seen any evidence of him coveting or displaying trappings of personal wealth.

Reactions: FightTheFuture
Comment

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
No, he's busy making sure Apple can meet the demand for Apple products; such as manufacturing/testing/shipping roughly 600,000 iPhones every single day of the year (on the average) to customers all around the world.

I've never seen any evidence of him coveting or displaying trappings of personal wealth.
Oh sure he does, just like all the Silicon Valley Elites.
He's worth over a billion dollars, and there's rampant homelessness all around there.
They talk the talk but still profit off cheap labor.

Comment

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2021
The richest company in the world extracting tax incentives from one of the poorest countries in the world seems wrong to me.

Comment

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2021
Vietnam is a communist dictatorship. India is a democracy.

Comment

citysnaps

macrumors G3
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Oh sure he does, just like all the Silicon Valley Elites.
He's worth over a billion dollars, and there's rampant homelessness all around there.
They talk the talk but still profit off cheap labor.

Really? How do you know that?

Until relatively recently Mr. Cook lived in a modest townhome. He now lives in a home that is far from what other Silicon Valley CEOs occupy. He can be seen walking by himself, without an entourage, in downtown Palo Alto, or spending a Sunday afternoon at Starbucks with his iPad. Compare that to how Zuckerberg, for example, carries himself.

Reactions: Captain Trips
Comment

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
Really? How do you know that?

Until relatively recently Mr. Cook lived in a modest townhome. He now lives in a home that is far from what other Silicon Valley CEOs occupy. He can be seen walking by himself, without an entourage, in downtown Palo Alto, or spending a Sunday afternoon at Starbucks with his iPad. Compare that to how Zuckerberg, for example, carries himself.

Nice deflection attempt.
Doesn't solve the issue though, cheap offshore labor and rampant homelessness right in his backyard.

Comment

citysnaps

macrumors G3
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Nice deflection attempt.
Doesn't solve the issue though, cheap offshore labor and rampant homelessness right in his backyard.

Deflection?

How's that. I offered first-hand experiences about his modest lifestyle, not being into the usual trappings of wealth. You took exception, and so far have not made a case to the opposite. You have resorted to deflections, though.

Comment

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
Deflection?

How's that. I offered first-hand experiences about his modest lifestyle, not being into the usual trappings of wealth. You took exception, and so far have not made a case to the opposite. You have resorted to deflections, though.
"I offered first-hand experiences"
That's funny.
You know Timmy personally eh? Tell him to solve his homelessness problem in his city and stop hiring slave labor.

Comment

citysnaps

macrumors G3
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
"I offered first-hand experiences"
That's funny.
You know Timmy personally eh? Tell him to solve his homelessness problem in his city and stop hiring slave labor.

More deflection to the original point I made about him leading a modest lifestyle, despite his wealth.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.