Apple Logic Board repairs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Master Blaster, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Master Blaster macrumors newbie

My brother owns an Apple computer repair store in Clearwater Florida called crs inc. I am doing some research for him here. What do you guys usually pay for a remove and reinstall of a logic board including refurbishing the the board?

I help out with the phones there and we get alot of calls now because the apple store is charging 50 bucks just to talk with them. Drives me crazy! Anyway could I get some honest fair opinions on this:

Is 300.00 with return shipping and labor included high for a logic board repair that is done correctly? Mind you this includes all labor, return shipping, and any new parts the board needs.

Your input on this is greatly valued. He currently charges 250 dollars for all that and I honestly think it is way to low due to the machine cost and the labor and shipping.

So would you guys say $300 is still a fair price for that service with a 3 day turn around usually? I believe we have some customers in here already.

I appreciate the responses in advance!

2. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

$300 for a logic board sounds like a low price, but what we think is a fair price is irrelevant. Your brother needs to come up with his price based on what he pays for the parts, and what is the absolute allowable minimum labor he needs to charge on every job to cover his operating expenses. Only he knows this - and maybe his accountant.

It'd be great if everyone could charge a flat rate for repair jobs but there's just too many variables involved. One guy could charge a certain amount and turn a profit while another guy could charge the same amount and lose money.

All that being said , I'd say speaking very generally that $300 sounds low to me. Heck, for $300 I'll let you guys replace the logic board on my g3 iBook lol

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I paid 50,000 yen (about $450 US exchange at the time) last August for a brand new logic board on my 20" Intel Core Duo iMac which I subsequently sold.

Mind you that wasn't for a repair but a replacement. The work was done by Apple here in Japan.

I would be very careful of posting the links to your brother's business in here. It makes your post seem like more of an advertisement than an honest request for information.

4. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Heh. Well, having had the logic board on an iMac G5 (iSight) replaced ... ooh, 4 times now under AppleCare, the receipt says that without AppleCare the parts and labour for each replacement total £472. Which is.... (drum-roll).... $918.51.

Eek.

5. Master Blaster thread starter macrumors newbie

I am very thankful for the honest replies.

I spoke with him and he feels 250 is good for now. We have done a few peoples computers since the last post and have not had any issues yet. Out of all the computers mailed to us only one has not been able to be refurbished at this price.

We really want to keep it very affordable to put a stop to apple conning people into buying a new computer with inflated logic board replacement repair prices!

short of a marketing group the only place I could think of to get honest answers was a forum like this. I did not intent for this to be an advertisement.
    What I needed was feed back on our price.

So in answer to the response about flat rate. We can provide this repair for the flat rate of 250 which includes return shipping.

I believe dave (from here) has mailed us a computer and we just finished it.

He was very happy since it just came in yesterday IIRC.