Apple Logic Pro 9 release

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rickboy, Mar 27, 2009.

1. rickboy macrumors newbie

Im very interested in a new release regarding Apple Logic Pro software. So anybody that has any information regarding the release of a new version of Apple Logic Pro please post it here. Ive been meaning to purchase it but Logic 8 has been out for soooooo long that i think its best to wait and update. Plus i also hear rumors that apple may be selling there pro applications to another company. i hope this is not the case since I think the quality of there apps is second to none. Both Apple Logic and Final Cut are my choice for audio production and video editing. So it would be very disapointing to see these apps go.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

1) No idea. I wouldn't expect a new release for a year or so though, the most recent rumours about pro app upgrades have been in relation to Final Cut Studio.

2) I very much doubt Apple would sell their pro app business.

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I haven't heard anything about Apple selling any Logic Studio or Final Cut Studio apps and I don't see it happening since Apple purchased three apps, Color, Shake and Logic Pro, from different companies and selling them doesn't seem likely, not to mention the 5,000+ Apple Loops that they had created.

As for Logic updates, I haven't heard anything but I too would like to see an update. Possibly with a pitch to MIDI feature in Logic Pro and a better reverb reduction feature. I know these technologies are still in their infancy at best but Apple has surprised us before.

David

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Proapps don't usually get much attention before releases. Their are usually not too many articles here predicting them or detailing them.

David

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well except for the recent one regarding a Final Cut Studio upgrade.

6. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

Logic 8 is not even two years old. Logic 7 was around for almost four years. If they stick with that life cycle, don't expect Logic 9 any time soon.

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Apple has not always made Logic, it has only recently bought it and killed its PC version. Few words about the most recent versions:

- Logic 7 was a disaster, thus taking 4 years to move on. I'd say it was a nightmare, but I'm coming from ProTools land so let's just say my opinion is biased.

- Logic 8 is what a Pro audio app should have been, and 2ish years is a decent lifecycle. I'd expect Logic 9 "this year" if Apple has plans on developing the app further.

The big IF about Logic is what's Apple planning on doing with it. They have already taken pieces of it to GarageBand (consumer) and SoundTrack (prosumer) applications but it remains to be seen if they really want to enter into the Pro market. There have been rumos about Apple/Apogee relationships so you never know.

But if it takes another 4 years with Logic 8 you can pretty much guarantee Apple is not going to fight for it.

8. nickweston macrumors member

Logic 8

I wouldn't say that Logic 7 was a disaster at all....I used it on over 100 record projects and about a dozen movie scores. That being said, Logic 8 is a dream.
    What is a disaster, IMHO, is the MIDI and virtual instrument portion of ProTools, which is archaic and rudimentary at best compared to the depth of Logic's environment, notation, etc., not to even mention the depth and quality of the included plugins, instruments, and utilities. Mainstage in particular is worth the entire price of Logic! The ability of Logic to deal with multiple audio formats at the same time, to use interleaved files along with non-interleaved instead of the goofy .L and .R that ProTools forces you to use means I'm making music with half the number of faders and clutter.
    I am what you would call a power user, logging at least 8 hours a day, six days a week in a major recording studio and I can honestly say I don't want for much with Logic, and it for sure never holds me back.
    Oh, and all this for $499? You've got to be kidding me. Kudos to the Logic team at Apple. Went to a Euphonix/Apogee/Logic 8 demo in Hollywood yesterday and was blown away with the combination, this is the future. The days of spending $30k of hardware that won't work with anyone else's software are numbered. Does anybody remember the Synclavier? Digidesign will have to make some hard choices in the coming years.

9. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Apple wouldn't sell the pro apps business. It's profitable (no reason to sell), it gives Apple a better understanding of one of their biggest markets (creative professionals), and it ensures these apps stay Mac exclusive.

10. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I said "not much attention" not "no attention".

David

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Huh???

Apple announces Logic Pro 6 Jan 2004

Apple announces Logic Pro 7 Sept 2004

Apple Announces Logic Studio Sept 2007

Logic 6 = Integrating a former non Apple App into a Apple workflow ie better Quicktime support.

Logic 7 - Was adding support for Apple Loops and the new plugs (Sculpture, Guitar Amp, Ultra Beat) and futher sweetening

Logic Studio - Reigned in Logics "illogical" UI and revamped parts of the core audio engine to support sample accurate editing. Likely massive amounts of underlaying code was redone.

So what cycle do you take? The 8 months between Logic Pro 6 and Logic Pro 7 or the 3 years between 7 and 8?

Logic Pro 9 won't have a different UI. That was handled in the transition to 8. I expect the Logic Pro 9 updates will improving the core engine and adding often requested improved pitch shifting and more. It should also be mostly cocoa and ready for 64-bit support in Snow Leopard. It's most certainly coming this year along with a new Final Cut Studio and Aperture.

12. rmanke macrumors newbie

In case you haven't heard... Logic Pro 9 has been released this week.