Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Has anyone attempted to remove the LCD? If I get the Air I like to do this to the Apple logo. I did it on my MacBook and I love it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05322.JPG
    DSC05322.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 3,446

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Found this on the web. Looks like almost as difficult as my MacBook and I will have to wet sand the painted logo off as well. hum....
20-2.jpg

21-2.jpg

24-2.jpg

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Why doesn't anyone make one that you can stick on the outside of the case, instead of having to opening it up?

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
It took me three hours to do my MacBook. I looks like no one has done it on the Air. The place where I got the transparent film from doesn't have instructions for the Air.

I am going to wait to buy the next Air and I'll change the logo color just to make it mine (special).

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
It took me three hours to do my MacBook. I looks like no one has done it on the Air. The place where I got the transparent film from doesn't have instructions for the Air.

I am going to wait to buy the next Air and I'll change the logo color just to make it mine (special).

Think twice about that... I've read on some other forum (sorry, don't remember where exactly) thread by some guy who broke the screen in his Air, and since he didn't want to pay Apple's price for repair, he attempted to do so himself. The conclusion was that the upper part of the case needed to be replaced as well (he destroyed it in the process and it seems nearly unavoidable). I like your MacBook with old Apple's logo, by the way :).

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I was just about to do the mod.

I phoned my local Mac service center for instructions. The tech said DON'T remove the bezel unless you are replacing the LCD. The bezel comes off with the LCD like paper and it is a b*tch to remove and install. It will never be the same if removed. He has done it a few times and b*tched each step of the way, every time. The LCD cost almost $500 to replace so he does not advise the mod. Well, it explains why no one has done it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.