Apple Logo of Death

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jkozlow3, Dec 18, 2009.

1. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Have others had problems with the 3.1.2 software where their phone won't boot and just displays the apple logo?

I try to reboot my phone every couple of days at least. I've had this happen a couple of times in the past 2 months where I can't get past the apple logo however. Nothing I do (power and home buttons held simultaneously, etc) will allow the phone to boot fully.

So ultimately, I have to do a restore in DFU mode and setup my phone from scratch (I don't like restoring from backups and never do). Anyway, my concern is - what happens if I'm traveling and have this problem? I don't typically have my personal laptop with me when traveling but rather my work machine. I kind of wrote this off as a fluke the first time, but now it's happened twice and I'm kind of worried about it happening again.

I was just curious if others have had the issue and if you think it's a software or hardware issue. My 3G is out of warranty and I'm waiting until the 4G comes out to upgrade. That being said, I bought the 3G with a platinum card which gives me a 1 year warranty extension, so I could pay the $199 for an out of warranty replacement and get fully reimbursed by my credit card company. However, I'm not sure it's a hardware issue at this point. Each occurrence of the issue was at least a month apart.

Thanks!

2. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Sounds hardware to me. I would pick up a refurb 3G for $49 or downgrade back to 2.2.1.

3. nikwax macrumors newbie

I just had my phone do that for the first time the other day. I had to do a full restore to recover. I assume it was a poorly behaving application. You could get ahold of one of the system monitoring apps (e.g., iStat) and see if one of the apps is not freeing up memory. That would at least answer the hardware vs. software question.

4. jkozlow3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I could understand a poorly written app causing the phone to crash, but to not allow it to boot back up?

Anyway, my phone didn't crash. I rebooted it on purpose and couldn't get past the apple logo. Both times that this has happened were a result of me initiating a reboot as a maintenance routine.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just want to make sure: You're not jailbroke, are you?

6. jkozlow3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope.

7. steve1711 macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem. It started after ver 3 of the fimware. Every couple of weeks I get a crash to the Apple logo. If I use the computer and hold down both buttons until the logo appears then leave it for 5 minutes it will restart and the battery charging comes on. But as you say inyour thread this is a problem if a computer is not a ailable, such as on holiday.

I'm not jailbroken and am using the latest firmware. I hope version 4 fixes iy.