Apple Logo on iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Aug 12, 2014.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

This is probably a dumb question, but why would Apple go to the extra expense of cutting a hole in the back of the Iphone 6 just to place a logo? I am beginning to think it might have another purpose.

2. BigMike1 macrumors newbie

Can say the same thing about it being on all the MacBooks, iPads and likely the iMacs...Just looks cool? I like the white light in the Apple logo on my MacBook.

3. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

It's probably to let different types of waves through that can't pass through solid metal (aluminum).

The current iPads have the apple logo cut out instead of having it polished in the aluminum.

So, it does have some type of purpose, but we don't know yet for sure.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Notification light!:eek:

Multiple colors and configurable!:apple:

5. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'm hoping it's for a NEW feature like some type of NFC-ish payment system... but I'm not holding my breath.

7. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

if it lights up everyone will freak out. Including myself.

8. jabingla2810, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The first iPhone had a similar cut out.

That iPhone had a huge black plastic plate at the bottom which aided the radio signals, so I think the cut out was used purely for cosmetic purposes. (A way to achieve the polished metal look without the use of unibody construction, which in 2007 was still not used in a comercial product.)

Today, the iPads use this cut out logo method to allow Wifi and Bluetooth radios to work, because they don't pass through Aluminium very well.

But, we know with the iPhone 5 and 5s, Apple uses the unibody process to polish the Apple Logo using one piece of Aluminium, so the choice to use two pieces is not purely cosmetic. Maybe NFC, maybe bluetooth and Wifi, maybe a mix of everything to aid the signal pass through along side the now small plastic bands distributed throughout the phone?

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

No doubt. Apple users have had mixed feelings about a true notification LED. I have wanted it since leaving Blackberry for iPhone. It has been so long, I almost forgot how nice it was to look across the room and be able to tell if you have service, missed a call or text or have an appointment.

Blackberry allowed you to adjust color, blink duration, length of time before it turned off, etc. I know many here will not like but you do not have to use it.

More than likely it is, as other say, a RF Window only.

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I couldn't agree more. I love the notification light that other phones have and its not like it could be hard to implement. But I'm not sure if the logo would be the most practical place to put it, but it sure would look cool.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I would have to agree that this would be nice. A notification LED (dedicated) would be nice. However, if it's the logo, then it defeats the purpose (again).

Because there is currently no notification LED I use the flash on my phone. However, unlike a lot of people (I don't get this) I don't lay my phone face down, I lay it on it's back. So any Apple logo notification LED would not be seen. Like my current process is not seen if my iPhone happens to be on a flat surface.

12. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

The best place to stick a notification light would actually be around the home button, some kind of circular pulsing light would look brilliant.

Other than that Motorola have got it cracked with the Moto X, but for this to work Apple would need to use an AMOLED screen.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL!

HTC did this with the Diamond, Touch Pro and Touch Pro2 and probably with other models. There was even a Touch Pro mod to make it multicolor.

If Apple could do it better though, I'm all for it.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Just the opposite here. My Sedio Surface case has a very small lip all the way around the screen and I lay my phone face down to protect the face.

The best place would be the band arounf the phone. Multiple mini LEDs would use little power and you would see them no matter how you laid the phone down.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah. I don't use a case, nor do I lay my phone face down. For me, I'd much rather scratch up the back of my phone if that happens then the glass. But, I seem to be an exception. Most people, including my wife seem to lay their phones face down.

As to LEDs on the band, IDK. I can conceptualize that, but I don't know. I like the ring around the home button idea, but I'm just used to that having come from an HTC Touch Pro so maybe I'm biased.

16. tblisscoug macrumors newbie

Seeing the "liquid metal" inlays; what if that was for wireless charging?

17. sandmanfvr macrumors member

With my wife converting to iPhone (she made decision this week) and asking me when iPhone 6 should be coming out, I been looking at making her transition somewhat easier. I did notice her S3 has a led notification light and I need to tell her it won't be there, but she is like me and is always picking up the phone so really I think she will be fine.

But on the main subject, yes the notification light is a nice feature Apple should just do, stop bucking the idea and do it. I keep my work phone on silent with only calls coming in, so the light hits I know I have email, meetings etc. I usually keep my iPhone with me at all times, but if I go out in the yard to do stuff, etc would be nice on the iPhone 6 on that I come back in and the home button glows or small blink, something. Not a killer feature but I wish Apple would just put it on their phones.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

To me the phone is way more protected with the screen facing down and not up and exposed. But then you have to have the right case for it. Can't imagine not have a case, but then that has been covered in other threads:)

Choice is good!:apple:

----------

Wireless charging requirs a rather large copper coil on the back of the phone. If the new 6 has the aluminum back, this would not work at all.

19. sandmanfvr macrumors member

Oh I also put it face down, thus nothing hits the screen. I have a clear Amazon rubber case, my favorite, and I also have a hip case when I am traveling, heck it stays in it when I don't use it; I guess I am paranoid.

20. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

21. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

22. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

NFC, take it to the bank. That would be brilliant !