Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garlandbriggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
Anyone else notice how easily the Apple logo on (the back of) the iPhone 6 tends to smudge and smear when you touch it with your thumb/finger? Is this normal? Any slight brush or light rub causes the material to pick up fingerprints like the plague.

Have been a bit annoyed by it ever since I took my 6s+ out of its box, and now that my 1-year warranty is almost up (counting down the days), I'm starting to wonder whether this texture/characteristic of the logo/material (stainless steel?) is exclusive to my device or a general side effect of said material.

Would greatly appreciate any input any one else may have re their own experiences.

Reactions: Contra1971

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
Yh it is i have a 5s and yeah it also does that there is nothing to worry about

garlandbriggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
Clearly I've got little-to-no shame (although am now sort of relieved I didn't post the pics I'd taken) and (not ashamed to admit it) a lot of free time. That being said, I was entertained by and, frankly, appreciate the feedback. Thanks for placating my neuroses.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Have been a bit annoyed by it ever since I took my 6s+ out of its box, and now that my 1-year warranty is almost up (counting down the days), I'm starting to wonder whether this texture/characteristic of the logo/material (stainless steel?) is exclusive to my device or a general side effect of said material.

Would greatly appreciate any input any one else may have re their own experiences.

Apple has an annoying habit of using shiny but easily marred materials in some of its products.

I remember buying an iPod 10 or 11 years ago.

It had a polished stainless steel back that was stunning right out of the box, but I managed to scratch it within 1 minute of taking the plastic wrapping off. WTF I thought, but I'd bought the iPod for music, not to display as an art piece. So I just used it without any further thought. After a few months there were so many scratches and scuffs that the stainless steel had a pretty uniform haze all around.

The iPod mini was popular around this time. I noticed that the hard-anodized aluminum seemed to hold up much better. Then Apple released the iPod nano and that too was scratch/smudge prone, especially in the black color (both black and white had a shiny back, but the white front hides scratches better).

My advice: either put a case on it, or just use it and don't worry about the smudges. Unless you are a collector it won't matter.

garlandbriggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
Apple has an annoying habit of using shiny but easily marred materials in some of its products.

I remember buying an iPod 10 or 11 years ago.

It had a polished stainless steel back that was stunning right out of the box, but I managed to scratch it within 1 minute of taking the plastic wrapping off. WTF I thought, but I'd bought the iPod for music, not to display as an art piece. So I just used it without any further thought. After a few months there were so many scratches and scuffs that the stainless steel had a pretty uniform haze all around.

The iPod mini was popular around this time. I noticed that the hard-anodized aluminum seemed to hold up much better. Then Apple released the iPod nano and that too was scratch/smudge prone, especially in the black color (both black and white had a shiny back, but the white front hides scratches better).

My advice: either put a case on it, or just use it and don't worry about the smudges. Unless you are a collector it won't matter.

Appreciate the response.

(Never really bothered with smartphones until about a year ago and, an ancient iPod and a 2k9 MacBook Pro notwithstanding, the whole "affair" with new-fangled consumer products has found me... well looking for nits to pick.)

At any rate, am not above trudging through or besmirching the web's noble forums in order to satisfy my neurotic or (what little) aesthetic navel-gazing. I posted w the hope of getting an answer - and (apparently) a psych-eval - and am glad I got both. Comiseration helps too!

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.