Apple Logo on iPhone 6s Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by garlandbriggs, Dec 12, 2016.

1. garlandbriggs macrumors newbie

Anyone else notice how easily the Apple logo on (the back of) the iPhone 6 tends to smudge and smear when you touch it with your thumb/finger? Is this normal? Any slight brush or light rub causes the material to pick up fingerprints like the plague.

Have been a bit annoyed by it ever since I took my 6s+ out of its box, and now that my 1-year warranty is almost up (counting down the days), I'm starting to wonder whether this texture/characteristic of the logo/material (stainless steel?) is exclusive to my device or a general side effect of said material.

Would greatly appreciate any input any one else may have re their own experiences.

2. SSAJ macrumors 6502

Yh it is i have a 5s and yeah it also does that there is nothing to worry about

3. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

So now we are going to complain about how it finger prints on the BACK of the phone?:p

5. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

its the nature of the mirror finish. I hope you're not serious. theres tons of products that use a similar finish, like water faucets, lamps, car parts etc. if you have a problem with this you're gonna have a bad time with a lot of regular day items.

6. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Well, yeah... the entitled have to find *something*.

7. garlandbriggs thread starter macrumors newbie

Clearly I've got little-to-no shame (although am now sort of relieved I didn't post the pics I'd taken) and (not ashamed to admit it) a lot of free time. That being said, I was entertained by and, frankly, appreciate the feedback. Thanks for placating my neuroses.

8. macTW Suspended

That's the jet black syndrome.

9. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

I'm telling you, the last dozen threads all read like there is widespread brain damage going on.

10. MetalCores macrumors regular

MetalCores

If you are bothered by that then definitely don't get jet black on your next one lol

11. Warcake macrumors regular

any polished object tends to smudge easily. what the hell OP. no wonder iPhone users get trolled/insulted so often. its people like yourself.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have to agree. Products of our educational system.

13. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Apple has an annoying habit of using shiny but easily marred materials in some of its products.

I remember buying an iPod 10 or 11 years ago.

It had a polished stainless steel back that was stunning right out of the box, but I managed to scratch it within 1 minute of taking the plastic wrapping off. WTF I thought, but I'd bought the iPod for music, not to display as an art piece. So I just used it without any further thought. After a few months there were so many scratches and scuffs that the stainless steel had a pretty uniform haze all around.

The iPod mini was popular around this time. I noticed that the hard-anodized aluminum seemed to hold up much better. Then Apple released the iPod nano and that too was scratch/smudge prone, especially in the black color (both black and white had a shiny back, but the white front hides scratches better).

My advice: either put a case on it, or just use it and don't worry about the smudges. Unless you are a collector it won't matter.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

15. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

This sums up the thread perfectly.

16. garlandbriggs thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate the response.

(Never really bothered with smartphones until about a year ago and, an ancient iPod and a 2k9 MacBook Pro notwithstanding, the whole "affair" with new-fangled consumer products has found me... well looking for nits to pick.)

At any rate, am not above trudging through or besmirching the web's noble forums in order to satisfy my neurotic or (what little) aesthetic navel-gazing. I posted w the hope of getting an answer - and (apparently) a psych-eval - and am glad I got both. Comiseration helps too!

Thanks again