Apple Logo on startup.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dragynfyre, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Dragynfyre macrumors member

Alright I had Windows 7 on my Macbook Air 11.6 (Late 2010) and it was working great. Yesterday I reformatted and reinstalled Windows (wanted to make the Windows partition bigger). Now on startup all I get is a grey screen without an Apple logo. It still boots into Windows fine though. I think I might've messed up the partitions during the install this time.

There were 5 partitions:
    200MB EFI (didn't touch)
    18GB OSX (didn't touch)
    128MB unallocated space
    40GB BOOTCAMP (Installed on this)
    128MB unallocated space again.

When I installed Windows I deleted the bootcamp partition (to reformat into NTFS) and it combined with the 2 unallocated space partitions. Were they important? What were they for?

So basically what I'm wondering is it normal for there to be no Apple logo when you have it set to boot straight into Windows in the Bootcamp control panel? I've seen a youtube video online where there was no apple logo either but I distinctly remember there being an Apple logo there before.

Just for some extra clarification the grey screen I'm talking about is the one that shows up initially right when you hear the Mac startup sound.

Oh and the Apple logo does show up when I boot into OSX.

2. Gary123 macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity, whats the point of buying an expensive mac laptop to have a so huge windows partition?_?

3. Dragynfyre thread starter macrumors member

Well I wanted the MBA for hardware/form factor reasons. Trust me I took a long look at all the other laptops that were available and the MBA came out on top in terms of value. There's already been a 8 page discussion about this in the MBA section of this forum and the general consensus is that the MBA was the best choice for me. Also I prefer Windows over OSX.

4. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

hold down the left 'alt' key when powering up the machine, if you haven't made a mess of things you should then get the ability to choose which partition you boot off of.

In OSX you can then set your start up disk to whichever you prefer using System Preferences Start Up Disk

likewise when in Windows use the bootcamp assistant

5. Dragynfyre thread starter macrumors member

I don't understand how this is supposed to help my issue. I can boot into both partitions fine. It's just that the screen that comes up right away at startup is pure grey instead of having a little Apple logo in the middle when I choose to boot into Windows by default.

6. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

start of your post suggested that since repartitioning your boot camp drive all you got was a blank screen that could boot into windows fine

i.e. that you were stuck with only being able to boot into windows

as far as the logo at startup goes if I'm set to boot into windows then the screen is blank no apple logo displayed, though I have vague memories of getting grey screen with a Windows logo (rather than apple logo) when booting Windows at one stage..

7. Dragynfyre thread starter macrumors member

Ahh thanks. I must've been mistaken then.

8. coonsie macrumors newbie

If the default boot partition is the Windows one, you will just get a grey screen.
    If it's the OSX partition you will get the Apple logo.