Apple logo randomly appears

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Col Ronson, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Has anyone else had the apple logo black startup screen randomly appear on their phone when trying to do something for like 5-6 seconds before returning to the lock screen? Its like a reset but not really because touch ID still works (if you reset your phone, you have to enter your password).

Several other people i know who updated to iOS7 have this issue too.

2. winterny macrumors 6502

That is Springboard (the app that runs the main page that launches other apps) crashing.

Happens on mine also, I chalk it up to iOS7 still having some bugs.

3. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Yup, this is a springboard crash. It happens at least once or twice a week on my 5s (has only happened once so far on my rMini).

4. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

It was happening about 1 out of 20 wake cycles with the fingerprint so I took it to the genus bar and they replaced it said it was a hardware failure.

----------

And as a side note my replacement phone hasn't done it once

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I had that happen once. Never again so it must've been a bug.

6. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Yep, mines been doin it like once or twice a week as well

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My first iPhone 5s would so it about once a day. My replacement phone has done it twice since I received it. I did a clean restore of iOS 7 last week and I'm watching for anymore crashes. The techs I've spoken with at Apple have told me that it's related to automatic app updates, but I'm not so sure.

On a side note, my wife's 5s, old 4s and my 1st gen iPad Mini don't seem to have this problem.

8. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

I have had this happened before. I believe it is the phone just trying to reset or debug itself.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Happened once and I don't have automatic app updates (or any automatic downloads for that matter) enabled.

10. theConvinced macrumors member

Still happens to me probably several times a week. I am still on 7.01 though. I wonder if upgrading will help. Might give it a try.

11. tateu macrumors 6502

It happened to me for the first few weeks or so with my launch day 5s. I backed it up, wiped it and restored from backup. My Springboard has not crashed a single time since then. Apps still sometime crash, though.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Oh I don't trust the guy, automatic updates shouldn't be causing the springboard to crash. I just turned it off so that next time it happens they won't be able to come up with a BS reason.

13. cirial macrumors regular

I've had my iphone 5s about 2 weeks now and springboard crashed for the first time today while trying to launch the phone app!

14. richard371 macrumors 68000

15. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Agreed, hopefully the released 7.1 will fix it as it's definitely software.

16. macjoshua macrumors 6502

Happens almost daily on my 5S and iPad 3. I'm assuming it's a software issue since it happens on both.

17. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

this is good to know. mine would respring 1 out of 10 finger print unlocks (sometimes more frequently than that). I re-installed 7.0.4 from the ipsw and still have the issue... the phone was also set up as new when I bought it. I may have to make a genius bar appt today.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Interesting that it happened only once on my launch day 5s whereas it occurs almost daily on others.

19. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

My launch day phone has only had it happen once, whilst setting a new background strangely... :/

20. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

It's been happening on mine too, probably about every other day. Kinda annoying but not horrible, just hoping a software update fixes it…

21. daveak macrumors regular

Never, nor do I ever expect to. I have a gold 5S, which means I see a white startup screen instead.

22. Acronyc macrumors 6502

This happens on my iPad 3 every now and then, but hasn't happened at all on my 4S running iOS 7. Hopefully a fix will be forthcoming.

23. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I had that happen to me yesterday while setting a new wallpaper on both home screen and lock screen. I repeated changing the wallpapers a dozen or so more times and it reset a couple more times.

iPhone 5s and am not using touch id...

24. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

The data log says low memory and springboard crash, which is reassuring! :/ lol

25. Col Ronson thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol funny :)