apple logs serial numbers?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by meiscoffee, Apr 22, 2010.

1. meiscoffee macrumors newbie

i recently returned my jailbroken iPhone after it started an infinite reboot loop. after i told a friend who worked at apple for several years i was told that "apple logs the serial numbers of all devices and has you name and information associated with it. if it was jailbroken when you returned it they will make a note of it and the next time you need service they will say 'you have voided you end user agreement we will not help you with your problem.'"

now i don't know if he was telling the truth apple really knows who turns in jailbroken iPhones/iTouchs. or if he was lying to me.

i afraid i'm going to have problems with apple...

2. ifruitfly macrumors member

I cannot speak to whether they do that or not, or how long it takes them to update their info, but I returned a JBed phone, got a replacement, and after having issues with it, got another replacement...had the same problem and they sent me a 32gig when my initial phone was a 16. This occorred over a four month span. Do they record that info? Maybe, but they certinly didn't punish me for JBing my initial device as well as one of the two dud replacements.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

Well

when I didn't know better I tool my JB phone into a apple store Genus looked at it and quickly told me he could not service it like that. He said take it home unjailbreak it and bring it back in about a week. So it can build some history. I unjailbroke it took it back a week latter they exchanged it. tons of people have exchanged and returned formally Jb devices. ;) Also why didn't your Apple friend take care of it for you.

4. navigates macrumors 6502a

They exchanged my Jail broken phone with another one with cydia in the home page. Few months later they exchanged my newly Jail broken phone once again. So you should be fine.

Now in my experience it depends on the place you are returning to. For example In New Jersey, the Genius are hard nuts to crack. However if you put half of the effort in Cali, you'll get through.

I was trying to help a friend of mine get a replacement as her device would shut off while walking. The genius wanted to test the device and after 2 hours of testing they refused replacement as they could not replicate the problem. She took it back to them a week later for the same issue and they refused the exchange once again. However in CA, I had a minor hairline crack and before I could start my explanation, the genius asked if it was fine if he replaced the phone.