Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is on the hunt for an iPhone Security Engineer, according to a job posting on their website.

Apple's CoreOS organization is looking for an exceptional individual to validate the security architecture for the iPhone. As an implementer of advanced technologies in OS X, you will have the opportunity to have a major impact on Apple's embedded operating system products.

The discovery, originally made by MacNN, comes as some security researchers have criticized the iPhone's security.

Article Link

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Can anyone elaborate a bit more on how the Mail application within the iPhone is "SPAMable"? Anyway, as a precaution, I never click on mail URLs whether it's on my phone or computer. So I'm not too worried about the spoofing.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Yikes. I've never hesitated to open any mail on my iPhone because I figured that it was really safe. Also because I have backups synced and I can do a restore if it craps out. There is no way for them to make a virus for the iPhone that could read your passwords is there? I guess I'll be more careful now.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
There is no way for them to make a virus for the iPhone that could read your passwords is there? I guess I'll be more careful now.

Yes, there is. There was a ton of criticism early on because Apple was having all applications run as the root user, which would give a malicious application access to any data it wanted. I think they have fixed that now, but it goes to show what the state of security on iPhone is, as that problem should have NEVER existed.

karterius

macrumors member
May 8, 2005
I'm sure their focus is less on the security of the user and more on the security of their platform and their revenue.

R.I.P. Dev Team 2008...

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
Yes, there is. There was a ton of criticism early on because Apple was having all applications run as the root user, which would give a malicious application access to any data it wanted. I think they have fixed that now, but it goes to show what the state of security on iPhone is, as that problem should have NEVER existed.
interesting...I hoped they fixed that!

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Hmmm. I've already noticed a few spam emails and phishing emails (deleted quickly). Does iPhone Mail have the same filters as Mac OS X Mail? I thought it would.

But I've also just recently switched my universal forwarding email from gmail to my .Mac (MobileMe) account so for the first time in 3 years my MobileMe mail account is starting to see some serious usage. Maybe the spam filters, etc are more robust on google mail... :(

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Hmmm. I've already noticed a few spam emails and phishing emails (deleted quickly). Does iPhone Mail have the same filters as Mac OS X Mail? I thought it would.

But I've also just recently switched my universal forwarding email from gmail to my .Mac (MobileMe) account so for the first time in 3 years my MobileMe mail account is starting to see some serious usage. Maybe the spam filters, etc are more robust on google mail... :(

That might by why they are hiring. Maybe looking for someone who knows a bit about mobile security to enhance interception and make some decent spam filters.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I'm not sure a SPAM filter comes under the security umbrella.

I'd imagine this is more of a precautionary measure. The iPhone is, for a lot of people, their first OSX-based product. Apple loves advertising the security advantage of OSX. Having a serious security hole would really undermine their message, not to mention anger the millions of iPhone owners around the world.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
interesting...I hoped they fixed that!

They did, that's why my Mail kept crashing when I restored my backup from 1.1.4. :) It was trying to run as mobile and root was the owner. My iPhone now "works" but it crashes more than a drunk driver...

toxicbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
I'm sure their focus is less on the security of the user and more on the security of their platform and their revenue.

R.I.P. Dev Team 2008...

Hey don't be so sure about that. These guys can hack your social security in a split second! :)

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK

To my knowledge the iPhone has zero spam filtering, to be fair most ISPs have excellent spam filtering and offer the ability to delete it immediately.

Best way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.