Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a new App Store ad on its YouTube channel in Japan ahead of the New Year. The brief 15-second video highlights various apps available on the App Store for productivity, connecting with others, and gaming.

The ad emphasizes how the App Store can help people get off to a good start in 2021, complete with colorful animations. New Year or "Shōgatsu" is widely considered the most important holiday in Japan, observed on January 1-3.

Apple also typically holds a one-day New Year's shopping event in Japan in early January, offering Apple Store gift cards with the purchase of select Apple products, but it has yet to announce an event of this kind for 2021. This year, the event took place on January 2 at Apple Stores in Japan and through the Apple Store app.

Update: Apple has announced that the shopping event will be held January 2-3.

Article Link: Apple Looks to 2021 With Japanese New Year Ad Highlighting the App Store

Last edited:

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
japan is great and their culture is amazing in many ways. highly recommend people traveling to Japan after covid is over.
I normally go for New Year, but obviously didn’t this year. And I just saw there was a Covid exposure on the flight we normally take from Vancouver to Tokyo. I don’t know why all international passenger flights haven’t been shut down.

ghanwani

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2008
Another noisy ad. Doesn’t matter what language it’s in, the ad’s soundtrack must be jarring to your ears. If it’s not, it’s probably a fake ad or a parody.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: chinito77

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
The Tokyo Olympics would be a great time to travel to Japan, hopefully by the boreal summer the improved weather, vaccinations, and ¿herd? immunity levels by then allow it without too much fuzz.

Last edited:
Reactions: goomba478

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
Not stepping foot in any Apple store in the Tokyo area has been a bummer. However that didn't stop me from ordering a HomePod mini and M1 Macbook! Too bad things are more expensive here than the USA for example.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
The Tokyo Olympics would be a great time to travel to Japan, hopefully by the boreal summer the improved weather, vaccinations, and ¿herd? immunity levels by then allow it without too much fuzz.
i would recommend against going to tokyo in july. weather is pretty brutal at that time.

Reactions: madrigal77

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Another noisy ad. Doesn’t matter what language it’s in, the ad’s soundtrack must be jarring to your ears. If it’s not, it’s probably a fake ad or a parody.
Nope, clicking the link it's from Apple Japan, so it's real ?
It's the typical "dasai" hiphop that we've had to put up with over the past 15 years.

We have so much good pop music here, but Japanese marketers insert hiphop because it combines an "exotically foreign" beat with "safely understandable Japanese" lyrics.

There's nothing more astroturf than upperclass Japanese youth running around flashing bizarre hand gestures, saying, "yo, saggu raifu, yo" ("yo, thug life, yo") trying so hard to be repressed minorities despite being part of the affluent 99% majority.

As for what most Japanese listen to, it's something more along the lines of this, which is one of the songs to be performed at the Tokyo Olympics.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
It's interesting to see that Japan celebrates the New Year on the solar calendar, unlike the neighbouring countries where the celebrations are observed on the lunar calendar. "Shōgatsu" is "正月" which basically means the first month. In Korea, the same Chinese glyphs are pronounced as "Jeongwol(정월)" and it refers specifically to the lunar first month. The difference stems from Japan moving away from the lunar calendar during Meiji Restoration that took place in the late 19th century.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
I live down the street from the Kyoto Apple Store. The end of this year can't come any sooner. One bonus of Covid is there are no tourists so there are amazing pictures to be had everywhere.
I work down the street from the Apple Store in Nagoya. It's still a crowded mess. They have everything but 16GB Mac Minis in stock. By the time they have one, the Apple Silicon iMacs might be out so I guess I can wait.

Actually, this year's been alright. My favorite cafes have stayed open and with fewer tourist customers, I've had time to talk to the owners of various mom&pop stores. Usually they are less talkative to customers, but now they're grateful to have a customer and I'm grateful to get to know them.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G4
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
japan is great and their culture is amazing in many ways. highly recommend people traveling to Japan after covid is over.
Japan is a beautiful country, and many deep arts and history, however their ‘culture’ is very rigid to acceptance of what seems natural or normal elsewhere in the world.

For me ... they’d barely tolerate me as a tourist (that’s prior to COVID-19), and right now ... I don’t feel like being locked up indefinitely or completely disappear just for walking around or shopping.

PS: Look at my avatar and check the news lately. I’d love to visit, yet safely and not under duress of being arrested/confined never to be released.

Reactions: wesley96

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
with what money ? do you know how expensive a trip to Japan is for the average American ?

$1899 got me 9 days in Japan, including roundtrip airfare, 4 and 5 star accommodations for all nights, 75% of the meals, ground transport, and paid for the tour. Used a service called Affordable Asia, but they renamed to Affordable World (google it). That was my first trip to Japan. Now I've been just saving up to go yearly, planning my own routes to Japan.

Bankrate's survey said the average American spent $1979 so it's right in line with that. If it's too much, you can get the 5 day package which I think was around $1400.

Digital Dude

macrumors 6502a
I normally go for New Year, but obviously didn’t this year. And I just saw there was a Covid exposure on the flight we normally take from Vancouver to Tokyo. I don’t know why all international passenger flights haven’t been shut down.
I lost a neighbor and friend of 37-years, and the two kids now have it. Suddenly, it became more real once I lost someone close—no social gatherings for me as a result.

• Sad
Reactions: madrigal77

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
I live down the street from the Kyoto Apple Store. The end of this year can't come any sooner. One bonus of Covid is there are no tourists so there are amazing pictures to be had everywhere.
Kyoto has become a nightmare of rude Chinese tourists everywhere. I don’t know how locals can even stand living there. Sad because it’s such a beautiful city. You must be loving it lol.

Pakaku

macrumors 68030
Aug 29, 2009
Nope, clicking the link it's from Apple Japan, so it's real ?
It's the typical "dasai" hiphop that we've had to put up with over the past 15 years.

We have so much good pop music here, but Japanese marketers insert hiphop because it combines an "exotically foreign" beat with "safely understandable Japanese" lyrics.

There's nothing more astroturf than upperclass Japanese youth running around flashing bizarre hand gestures, saying, "yo, saggu raifu, yo" ("yo, thug life, yo") trying so hard to be repressed minorities despite being part of the affluent 99% majority.
Sounds like most teens and kids, to be perfectly honest

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
That’s been a stereotype here in the US for years, middle class kids at the mall, trying desperately to be gangsta because they think it’s cool.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Kyoto has become a nightmare of rude Chinese tourists everywhere. I don’t know how locals can even stand living there. Sad because it’s such a beautiful city. You must be loving it lol. I'm a foreigner too so it's funny saying this, but living in Japan for so long I like to think of myself as a local.
There is just as much Eurotrash and Ameritrash as there is Asiantrash in Kyoto. And actually, it's the Eurotrash that have a tendency to be annoying. French and Americans. Until recently, late at night and in the early hours we could hear an American family/couple arguing who sound like they're strung out on meth going all out on each other. It's really bizarre. What's wrong with them? lol They were here for a year or so. I think they had to return home because of Covid.

In reality, most tourists from all countries who come to Kyoto are pretty stupid for thinking Kyoto is the place in Japan to go to. It's like going to Waikiki to see Hawaii. Kyoto is not the real Japan nor is it traditional. That Kyoto died ages ago. All the temples are refurbished with new materials so pretty much nothing is original. All of the Kyoto machiya are torn down and replaced by hostels and hotels. Everything in Kyoto exists for tourism. I'd tell people where they should go, but I don't want that place to become the next Kyoto so I won't. I don't hang out where the tourists are and tourists don't go where locals go so whatever whatever ;)

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the kids will be ok.man
Man it’s been ****** when it comes to covid. I know of staff who have been impacted. It’s really true African American and Latinos got it worst I know of severe AfAm (3diff staff) who have lost not one but two relatives each. Two Latino friends are both have fathers in ventilator this week. One of them died already. Theyre staff at my work. They’d be alive if it for covid man. I just hope vaccine distribution kicks into high gear. Right now they’re sitting at 18% to 30%+ vaccine distributed which is too slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.