Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

goprohero-250x229.jpg
Apple's industrial design team is losing one of its core members, with longtime designer Daniel Coster moving on to join GoPro as the company's Vice President of Design. GoPro announced the news in a press release this morning, which outlines Coster's role. He will "influence all aspects of design" at GoPro, ranging from software to surfaces, reporting directly to GoPro founder Nick Woodman.
"Ironically, Danny and I first met in December, 2001, on the beach in Sayulita, Mexico at the very start of the five month surfing trip where I developed and tested the first GoPro prototype," said Woodman. "His design pedigree speaks for itself, but I will say that we feel energized to have him join GoPro."

"I'm honored to join the GoPro team," said Coster. "This extraordinary company is close to the hearts of so many people around the world. Its brand and products inspire us to capture and share our lives' most important moments. I'm excited to shape the future with the incredible team at GoPro."
Coster has long been a member of Apple's secretive industrial design team, working alongside Jony Ive for over 20 years. GoPro's press release suggests Coster has contributed to a range of Apple products, from the iPhone 4 to the iPad wireless keyboard.

Apple's industrial design team is known for being a tight-knit group of 19 that has worked together for several years. In a 2015 interview, Ive told the New Yorker that only two designers had left his team over the past 15 years, one because of ill health.

In an interview with New Zealand magazine Stuff Nation, Coster said that he wants explore his new opportunity at GoPro and spend more time with his family and friends.

Article Link: Apple Loses Industrial Design Team Member Daniel Coster to GoPro

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That's too bad. Hopefully Apple doesn't lose any more design talent any time soon.

Is the "iPad wireless keyboard" mentioned in the article the recent foldable one or the old dock one? Because if it was the former, then I can see why he was shown the door. Just kidding, but seriously, make a better keyboard Apple. It makes me think of that old first-gen iPad case they made that was so awful. I'm hoping future versions are much improved.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
That's too bad. Hopefully Apple doesn't lose any more design talent any time soon.

Is the "iPad wireless keyboard" mentioned in the article the recent foldable one or the old dock one? Because if it was the former, then I can see why he was shown the door. Just kidding, but seriously, make a better keyboard Apple. It makes me think of that old first-gen iPad case they made that was so awful. I'm hoping future versions are much improved.

The new iPad keyboard is probably the worst bang for your buck for any Apple product ever. I'm used to Apple being expensive, but that usually comes with exceptional hardware quality and it feels like it's worth that much. The iPad keyboard does not qualify.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Well apparently he was as 23 year veteran. New blood isn't always a bad thing.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
What was this guy responsible for? The magic mouse 2 having to recharge port on the bottom? Or the iPhone bezels? Or the single port on the macbook 2015? What did he do on the team? If he was primarily responsible for any iPhone projects, then definitely it's good riddance.

Reactions: AleXXXa

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
What was this guy responsible for? The magic mouse 2 having to recharge port on the bottom? Or the iPhone bezels? Or the single port on the macbook 2015? What did he do on the team? If he was primarily responsible for any iPhone projects, then definitely it's good riddance.
It's a design "team" for a reason. I don't think any one person can be credited or blamed for Apple's design choices since Jobs passed away. If anyone could, it would be Ive but it seems like even he's stepped back a bit of late.

VagueChampagne

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2016
Lol, of all the places he chose GoPro! Isn't that like a graveyard?

Yeah you're right nobody has heard of GoPro. Let's just assume it's a "graveyard". Also, God forbid somebody leaves Apple to spend more time with family and friends.

Reactions: xDKP

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I am fine with this. I love GoPro and they need more help than Apple right now. GoPro has been struggling.

tmyoung

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
[doublepost=1460596480][/doublepost]AllMacs You must feel special for being remembered for your design of what again? His fails have amounted to more than your whole life.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Having the same 19 people design Apple's products for so long is why their designs have become conservative and bland. They desperately need some new ideas and fresh thinking in that team.
[doublepost=1460596904][/doublepost]The iPad Smart Keyboard is not wireless. It's connected to the iPad and doesn't work when it's not connected.

Reactions: AleXXXa

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Yeah you're right nobody has heard of GoPro. Let's just assume it's a "graveyard". Also, God forbid somebody leaves Apple to spend more time with family and friends.

Lol, moving from a support design position to "VP of design; responsible for all visual aspects of hardware & software" hardly seems like a move that frees up a lot of family time...

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Apple has a deep bench, but GoPro needs the talent. Their cameras are technically excellent, but have the aesthetics of a box of raisins.

Reactions: MacInTO

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yes I'm sure this guy is single handedly responsible for the iPhone's bezels. In fact I'll bet he created the physical home button just to ensure the iPhone would have large top and bottom bezels. :rolleyes:

twocents

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2016
California, USA
Please don't read this as fanboy talk, but if I had the chance, I'd love to work on the hardware and software design teams at Apple. It'd be a dream job improving the designs (pink v. Actual rose gold, Game Center and Photos icons!) on products used by millions and known for their quality (Yes, bugs, -gates,... tell us something we don't know)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Please don't read this as fanboy talk, but if I had the chance, I'd love to work on the hardware and software design teams at Apple. It'd be a dream job improving the designs (pink v. Actual rose gold, Game Center and Photos icons!) on products used by millions and known for their quality (Yes, bugs, -gates,... tell us something we don't know)
And a lot of those decisions end up getting made above the designers and developers so many improvements don't really end up out there even though they might actually exist.

Reactions: freddiecable
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.