Apple Loses Labor Code Violation and Core Wireless Lawsuits

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 15, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A federal jury for the U.S. District Court for Northern California today found Apple to be infringing upon a pair of wireless patents owned by Core Wireless, a patent holding firm with a large portfolio of more than 1,200 patents and applications, originally filed and later acquired from phone maker Nokia.

[​IMG]

Core Wireless was awarded $7.3 million in damages as part of the ruling, which Apple is likely to appeal. In its complaint, Core Wireless argued iPhones and cellular-enabled iPads infringe upon its patented wireless technologies, according to court documents filed electronically.

Core Wireless, in a statement following the verdict, said the patents-in-suit -- U.S. Patent No. 6,633,536 and U.S. Patent No. 6,477,151 -- "provide innovations that improve battery life and signal quality in mobile phones."
    Meanwhile, Apple lost another lawsuit this week when a San Diego Superior Court jury reached a verdict in favor of a group of former Apple Store retail employees, who accused the company of failing to provide timely meal and rest breaks, wages due upon ending employment within the required time, and accurate wage statements.

California Labor Code dictates that employees must be provided with at least a 30-minute meal break when the work period is more than five hours, and at least a 10-minute rest break for every four hours worked. The defendants claimed Apple failed to always provide these breaks for at least four years prior to the lawsuit.

[​IMG]

The lawsuit, originally filed in 2011 and elevated to class action status in 2014, involves Apple retail and corporate employees who worked for Apple between 2007 and 2012. The trial was to continue this week for corporate employees, as the jury verdict only applies to retail employees, according to a tipster.

Apple is ordered to pay $2 million in the lawsuit. Apple can now appeal the case before a higher court.

Article Link: Apple Loses Labor Code Violation and Core Wireless Lawsuits

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

3. samcraig macrumors P6

I believe Apple, like the rest of the country is over 2016

4. mikecorp Suspended

mikecorp

pathetic if you asked me, but well in USA you can sue even if you are a robber stuck in garage.

5. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

6. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

"So hey Donald, it's Tim, you said I could call any time..."

7. Xgm541 macrumors 65816

Queue the "Tim needs to go" comments. You guys realize that these issues are from before Tim was CEO?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2016 ---
    Over as in what? Last i checked AAPL stock is up today, and close to its 52 week high. US stock market is also at an all time high.

8. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Lawyers need jobs too :)

(Good thing this forum doesn't have a down vote button)

9. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    As people often note, $7.3 million is sofa change for Apple.

Core Wireless also won against LG for similar infringements in Android earlier this year, for about $3.5 million.

I wonder how much Core paid for these patents, and if they've made a profit on them yet.

10. cmwade77 macrumors 65816

While 7.3 million dollar is literally nothing to Apple, they will appeal the first one simply because of the ramifications for all phone companies and really for the future of all wirelessly connected devices if they don't.

As for the labor one, many employers fail to provide the required breaks and it is time we held all companies accountable for it, including Apple.

11. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Labor law article outside of PRSI? Living dangerously MacRumors staff ;-)

12. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

So Apple violates known patents and then doesn't want to pay up when caught. Typical

13. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Boy, I wish I thought of patenting rest breaks.

14. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

Queue the "Queue the negative comments" comments.

15. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

Yes because that's what I was commenting on. smh

16. samcraig macrumors P6

Are you in touch with your sense of humor?

17. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I really hope the forum uses a queue of some sort for asynchronous notification of posts then we can get really meta. Inception.

18. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Take lessons from Samsung. Keep litigating and delaying and eventually it will go away :).

19. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Karma, baby. Do others wrong and that wrong will come back.

20. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

The flip side is sue and you will be sued.

21. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

And that's what apple did in the past. Therefore, they getting sued...so you're right.

22. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Yep, works both ways. as any lawyer will tell you:"win some, lose some"

23. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Quick question about patent lawsuits and awards...

Let's say Apple has to pay the $7.3 million to Core Wireless for using their patents.

Is that just a one-time thing? Then can Apple keep using those patents in the future?

24. kdarling, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    I have not read this case in detail, but I'm pretty sure this was an award only for past infringement through 2015.

Since the lawsuit covered all 3G enabled iPhones and iPads up until then, I'm guessing that the jury awarded Core Wireless about one cent per each of about 730 million units sold. (I think that Core had asked for a little over three cents each.)

Going forward, Apple will have to negotiate a royalty rate, which might be about the same penny per device.

However, since these patents are reportedly only used for 3G, then as 3G disappears over time, so would the need to pay.

25. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Ok thanks!

There have been plenty of these "you must pay a fine for using someone else's patents" cases.

But I always wondered what happens after the court case.