Apple Lossless question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Morod, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi,
    I've read a lot about Apple Lossless for iTunes. This is an encoder used only for importing CDs to iTunes, correct?
    I finally found the option to use it under iTunes>Preferences>General>Import Settings. When buying a song from the iTunes Store, is Lossless automatically used, or can I choose that option from somewhere else?
    Thanks for any help in this!
    Morod

2. bay2sacto macrumors member

When buying from the ITMS the songs will be in MP4 AAC format which is a lossy format. None of the major online stores sell anything in a lossless format. The Apple lossless format, ALAC is only for encoding your imported CD tracks.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If you have the default import codec set to Apple Lossless, iTunes will allow you to transcode (re-encode) audio files to Apple Lossless, but don't be fooled. You won't be gaining anything in the process except the extra bitrate. Once a song is encoded to lossy format, you've lost the extra.

I don't believe you can transcode purchased music, at least, not DRM'd music. I'm not sure how it handles iTunes Plus.

4. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks again for the info, people! It saves me from looking all over for something that's non-existent. Much appreciated! :)
    Morod