Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Hi,
I've read a lot about Apple Lossless for iTunes. This is an encoder used only for importing CDs to iTunes, correct?
I finally found the option to use it under iTunes>Preferences>General>Import Settings. When buying a song from the iTunes Store, is Lossless automatically used, or can I choose that option from somewhere else?
Thanks for any help in this!
Morod

bay2sacto

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
Hi,
I've read a lot about Apple Lossless for iTunes. This is an encoder used only for importing CDs to iTunes, correct?
I finally found the option to use it under iTunes>Preferences>General>Import Settings. When buying a song from the iTunes Store, is Lossless automatically used, or can I choose that option from somewhere else?
Thanks for any help in this!
Morod
When buying from the ITMS the songs will be in MP4 AAC format which is a lossy format. None of the major online stores sell anything in a lossless format. The Apple lossless format, ALAC is only for encoding your imported CD tracks.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
If you have the default import codec set to Apple Lossless, iTunes will allow you to transcode (re-encode) audio files to Apple Lossless, but don't be fooled. You won't be gaining anything in the process except the extra bitrate. Once a song is encoded to lossy format, you've lost the extra.

I don't believe you can transcode purchased music, at least, not DRM'd music. I'm not sure how it handles iTunes Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.