Apple Lossless skips on my iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kurdt_the_goat, Apr 19, 2007.

1. kurdt_the_goat macrumors newbie

I recently converted a few CD's to Apple Lossless and whilst they play perfectly fine on my iMac, they exhibit some strange problems when played on my 3G iPod. I've noticed:
    1) Song will have a very brief pause with no sound, usually within the first 10 seconds of the song.
    2) Song will play for about 5 seconds and then skip to the second song.

The weird thing is, after skipping to the next song, if i press back to the song that was skipped, it will play perfectly fine. And sometimes the song that skipped on a previous album listen, works fine the next time.
    I assumed this was a buffering problem and hopefully isolated to my older model iPod.

But I want to upgrade to 5G iPod, and unfortunately read a few occurances of this problem on the Apple support forums, so i wanted to get opinions from users here as well....

Has anyone experienced problems with Apple Lossless playback on their iPods?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I had no troubles on my 4G iPod and I have none on my current nano either. Just out of interest, how large are the song files?

3. kurdt_the_goat thread starter macrumors newbie

30MB, weird thing is 2 songs later there's a 40MB one that played fine (at least it did last time i listened!)

4. triobot macrumors member

triobot

That sorta thing happened to me when i put a load of tracks on my ipod.

Try playing the song before and allow the track to play into it... Something to do with the cache?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't hold me to this and I can't remember where I read it, but I think the problem lessens if you have more free space on your iPod. Personally, I can't see how having the free space would help though. It's not like the iPod utilises paging files, does it? Anyway, is your iPod full?

6. kurdt_the_goat thread starter macrumors newbie

It is very close to full, that is a good point. For now i've just converted my CD's again to 320 AAC and the difference for me is marginal if any so that'll do :)

Thanks for the help anyway!