Apple Lossless trouble....

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mac17, Aug 13, 2007.

1. mac17 macrumors regular

Ok i need some help, i just got etyomic er6i headphones so i got a bit carried away and decided to get get my moneys worth and converted all my top rated songs to apple lossless not realizing each song would end up like 30 mb each. Now they wont fit on my iphone so i need a way to convert them back to the original state how do i do this i dont see an option in itunes?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You converted them to Lossless? That's no good, if they came from a lossy format like AAC or mp3.

You should re-rip them from the CDs.

3. jdsam macrumors member

jdsam

He is right, but to answer you original question to convert them back to AAC (or your format of choice) go to your iTunes preferences and change your import settings back to AAC (or your format of choice). Then control control click on the song you want to convert and select "convert to AAC".

Edit: to clarify what said first "He is right" what i meant by that is if you want the full sound experience of lossless you need import your music from CD's, if you convert music that has already been encoded at a lower bit rate you don't get near the sound you get going direct from CD to lossless. Last summer i too got the er6i's and went through the same process with most of my music, due to the size i had to switch to an external drive to hold my high quality library and synced my ipod with that, and set up a second library on my internal drive with lower quality encoding to fit most of what i wanted on my laptop.

4. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks i got my songs back to aac. So the only way to really enjoy my headphones would be if they were all from cds to lossless? How about the higher quality, drm free from itms or lets say from limewire?
    PS: how do you make 2 libraries? id like to do what you said with my external harddrive. thanks

5. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I've found that AAC 320kbps usually suffices. Going to lossless isn't much better, imho.

Anyways, the quality of the music off of iTunes is garbage, same with most of limewire. I usually try to find torrents which were ripped to lossless or FLAC.

6. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

If i convert something NOT from a cd to aac 320 kbps do i get a good sound experience? or is it the same as lossless (must be from a cd to get the best experience)?

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

No, you cannot add more valid data than you have at the beginning.

Trying to create a better audio file from a lower quality audio file is like taking a 4x6 photo, scanning it, and putting it on a billboard. It doesn't get better, even if it fits the space.

8. jdsam macrumors member

jdsam

Yeah, the way to get the best sound is to go from CD to what ever codec you choose, the best ones being lossless or higher quality. The drm free stuff is better, i don't know first hand how much better but it should be better. Most stuff you will get off limewire will not be much higher than mp3's 160 kbps.

On the topic of creating a second library hold option when you open iTunes, this will cause itunes to open a window leaving you with three options. It will ask if you want to cancel, open existing library or create a new library. When you choose create new library it will ask you where you want it located. From there it will act as a normal itunes library, you wont know the difference. You will find that itunes will naturally attempt to open the last library that was open. When you want to switch between which library itunes opens hold the option button when you launch itunes again.

9. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Ok, simple way to say it, the 256kbps drm free stuff sounds noticably better than the 128kbps stuff obviously (it's double the bitrate.)

Other than that though, put it this way, the only time you should ever use the 320kpbs setting in AAC, MP3 or encoding to lossless is when you have original cd's or from a source that's above the bitrate your encoding too if your not using lossless.

Taking any lower bitrate file no matter where it's from and upconverting it isn't going to get you anywhere except take up more space, and you'll get no extra quality whatsoever.

10. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

And also remember that taking a file ,upconverting it, and then downconverting it again will lose quality compared to the original.