Apple loves thin products. Why are they fine with massive bezels though?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CChevW, Feb 9, 2015.

1. CChevW macrumors newbie

I'm referring particularly to the iMac here, but this is pretty much the case with all of Apples products. They love thinness. They same to be the company who always has the thinness phone, tablet, etc. But why are they OK with big bezels. The iMac has massive bezels and a ginormous chin. The iPhone has big bezels compared to the competition. And it's the same in all their other product categories. Why are they OK with this? Seems strange to me.

2. jobs.jdfournier macrumors newbie

I can only think when you squash something, what happens? It squeezes out the sides. The components have to go somewhere.

On the iPad, I don't mind it because you need somewhere to hold. On the iMac, I would rather it be thick than wide or tall. Really they could add 4 inches (or more) of thickness and it wouldn't matter one bit.

3. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Couldn't agree more.

Who has a wall-mounted iMac? No-one. If it was thicker (deeper) they could make it more easily upgradeable or repairable as well, e.g. disk upgrade or replacement, replacement fan, whatever.

The obsession with thinness is silly and a case of form over function imho.

4. jobs.jdfournier macrumors newbie

I have a late 2009 iMac and really don't mind the bezel and chin, but I could see it being a little big for some to fit in certain spaces. I would love a thicker design to allow desktop parts and expansion slots. I have opened it up and upgraded it many times but having user accessible panels and more free PCI or SATA slots would be great.

I know I am turning it into a Mac Pro with an integrated screen but why not?

5. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I would imagine a future new design will have smaller bezels.

6. CChevW thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't disagree, but why are they at forefront of the thinness revolution but lagging behind everyone else when it comes to bezels :confused:

7. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

I would imagine you're right. I would also imagine not a hope in hell that it will be more upgradeable. Apple seem hell bent on (the not very green, I might add) throw it away rather than upgrade it.

8. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

some say the bezel helps you focus on the screen/contents... not so sure about that tough.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

While I can't answer specifically, I can deduce that its a design choice since some of their older g4 computers had very thin bezels.

So the real question is, why does apple like them so much?

10. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Today I learned that the large market for VESA mounts for iMacs is imaginary.

11. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Actually that's an interesting point which I had never thought about before. Now I'm only speaking for myself but I think I would be distracted by what's behind my iMac if the bezels were super thin, where it's located in my home the background is pretty busy.

12. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

On the thin iMac they would have to make the edges thicker to decrease the bezel size and bring the display closer to the edge. Being at the forefront of the "thinness revolution" means making some sacrifices.

The bezels don't really bother me, at least not on a desktop. In fact I would even consider them a part of the iconic design.

13. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

They have to leave room for some type of design improvement to the next generation - it's the Apple way.

14. robgendreau macrumors 68030

They have to leave room for fingerprints. ;)

15. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

People use VESA mounts to mount their iMacs on an arm, 99.9% of the time. Hardly anyone wall mounts them because most people don't have 18" deep desks nor like to sit with their knees against the wall.

16. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I would LOVE to see thinner bezels on future iMac designs!

Bryan