Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I don't think they would demo it and not have it on the new iPhone.

Demo on a prototype. They won't have it in a release phone. 1) It's too immature of a hardware (sucks down a ton of battery power). 2) It's got no market penetration, Apple's not going to add in something that works in only a few cities.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
100% false.

multiple stories have indicated that the next iPhone iteration will have LTE support.

afaik, LTE radios are too big, consume too much power at this point.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Could be possible. You never know with Apple and their secretiveness!

I'm personally hoping it won't be LTE solely because of AT&T. I highly doubt AT&T will let its "unlimited data" users upgrade to LTE plans without capping them.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I completely support LTE all the way, but with the 2nd generation of LTE chips being just a few months away I'd wish that Apple would hold out. The iPhone 6 should defiantly have LTE.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Demo on a prototype. They won't have it in a release phone. 1) It's too immature of a hardware (sucks down a ton of battery power). 2) It's got no market penetration, Apple's not going to add in something that works in only a few cities.

50% of population in US are already covered by Verizon LTE. How is that for market penetration?

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
50% of population in US are already covered by Verizon LTE. How is that for market penetration?

Not good enough. How about the rest of the world?

Apple could keep the LTE chip out for another year and increase profit made per device. I really don't see them releasing an LTE phone this year, not until the technology has matured more.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
a lot of people think that apple's secretive style means they are always planning something big. But how often are we actually shocked? Don't get me wrong, I love most of what apple puts out. But nothing about the iPhone 4 shocked me at all. It was all excising tech that had been around for YEARS. They just put it into a nice compact package. The retina display was the only thing that really caught me off guard, although it didn't really shock me that they were working on high quality displays.

The ORIGINAL iPod was, in my opinion, a breakthrough device. Same with the original iPhone and the iPad. But the evolution of these devices has not been shocking to me at all. Apple rarely takes risks on new technology. Instead they wait for it to come out, analyze it's viability in the market, asses it's shortcoming, and then find a way to re-brand it into something we all "have to have".

LTE is still pretty new. Every phone that has it right now is a battery hog. Apple will wait for either a new gen of chips that suck less power, or a new gen of batteries that last longer without being larger. That's my two cents. I don't expect it next week. That being said if they prove me wrong I won't be upset one bit!

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
a lot of people think that apple's secretive style means they are always planning something big. But how often are we actually shocked? Don't get me wrong, I love most of what apple puts out. But nothing about the iPhone 4 shocked me at all. It was all excising tech that had been around for YEARS. They just put it into a nice compact package. The retina display was the only thing that really caught me off guard, although it didn't really shock me that they were working on high quality displays.

The ORIGINAL iPod was, in my opinion, a breakthrough device. Same with the original iPhone and the iPad. But the evolution of these devices has not been shocking to me at all. Apple rarely takes risks on new technology. Instead they wait for it to come out, analyze it's viability in the market, asses it's shortcoming, and then find a way to re-brand it into something we all "have to have".

LTE is still pretty new. Every phone that has it right now is a battery hog. Apple will wait for either a new gen of chips that suck less power, or a new gen of batteries that last longer without being larger. That's my two cents. I don't expect it next week. That being said if they prove me wrong I won't be upset one bit!

Wow, well said. This is what I have been thinking every time I see a thread about how the iP5/4s HAS to have a bigger screen, LTE, NFC, or whatever else because Apple wouldn't put out anything less after this amount of time. I hope it has one of the above but I doubt it for the reasons you have stated. The iP4 was an amazing device that new phones are still being compared to a year and four months later, but nothing super surprising was added to the phone. As usual, everyone was hoping to see a bunch of stuff like SD card slots and the like that never materialized.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas

The iphone is a worldwide phone. The majority of the world does not have 4g so I doubt Apple will put it in the new iphone especially when it drains the battery fast. Next year maybe as 4g becomes a lot more common.

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
I hope not, Don't feel like paying even higher for a date plan.
oh & btw Anyone noticed how wide that white iPhone screen is in the background? That's def not a iPhone 4 :eek:

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I hope not, Don't feel like paying even higher for a date plan.
oh & btw Anyone noticed how wide that white iPhone screen is in the background? That's def not a iPhone 4 :eek:

your right. thats def not an iPhone 4! :apple: :D

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada

Not sure if serious.

To know the dimensions, you need a reference. If you're talking about the ratio, then you can't even see the length of the phone. Yes, it's an iPhone 4, a white one with a pink bumper.

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
i hope that's sarcasm, because it is an iP4. :confused:

no way in hell it's a 4. not even possible.
Unless they photoshopped it to make the phone look 2x's wider.

the phone is sitting a distance away & still looks wide as fuuuuuk

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
no way in hell it's a 4. not even possible.
Unless they photoshopped it to make the phone look 2x's wider.

the phone is sitting a distance away & still looks wide as fuuuuuk

You've got to be kidding me. It's an iPhone 4 by far.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007

The LTE chips aren't all that bad for battery, the Droid Bionic and Droid Charge are better than the earlier LTE phones on battery. But regardless, there's the possibility that Apple is getting an early shipment of the MDM9600, cellular radio, which has LTE.

willyfromphilly

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
You know, the iPhones are so awesome because of the battery life. If they do come out with the lte version, then I think the phone can't be as thin as rumored because of the size of the battery an lte version will require. Otherwise, it'll be just like the androids.

Saberj

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Is there a reason that they couldn't just program in an on/off slider for the radio? That would solve the "sucks a lot of battery" and "most of the world doesn't have 4g" problems at the same time. I know Sprint does that on their "4g" phones, but I didn't know if there was a difference with LTE that wouldn't allow that.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
A lot of people here aren't thinking critically as far as this LTE thing is concerned. Apple isn't concerned with using existing tech. Theres no way they would use a 1st gen LTE chicp, we already know that. So saying its a battery hog is short sighted.

The 2nd gen LTE chips qualcomm is making would be battery sippers. However it's been reported that those wont be ready til 1q12. But those are commercial chips, avaialble to all. Whats to say qual and Apple havent designed their own chip based on the 2nd gen design?

Apple is an innovater. They make stuff happen. i wouldn't be surprised at a quality LTE implementation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.