Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
neib said:
Just to give you guys a comparison for core duo, I did the blur test on an acer 8204 notebook that runs at 2ghz (core duo obviously) with 2gb ram and a 5400rpm drive.
I got 43 seconds.
So expect that or most likely better once photoshop is in universal binaries.
btw, I found this, and yes. . . pc people are doing the test too, probably someone who saw this thread.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=926660&radial+blur

Hey - could you do the 2B test in this thread on your Acer? I'd love to know what it's like on that one.

Chuck.

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
BakedBeans said:
What did you make to the vid?

Oh, sorry - I missed the post with the link...

Wow, that's awesome. I am impressed with the speed. Can you do one of those when it's doing the photoshop 2B action? Or would that be too long?

Chuck.

ivanidea

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2006
So sad.

15 inch Pbook
1GHZ

wait for it.....

9 minutes 19 seconds for the test with the downloadable action and the cute kid running in the snow.

wtf. I was hesitant to get a Macbook until CS3 but I really can't do any worse than this.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Chuck said:
Oh, sorry - I missed the post with the link...

Wow, that's awesome. I am impressed with the speed. Can you do one of those when it's doing the photoshop 2B action? Or would that be too long?

Chuck.

It would be a long video(file size large)... up too you though?

friedymeister69

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
73 seconds a.k.a. 1 minute 13 seconds...

Apple iMac 17" core duo (1.83ghz)
1.5gb ram
160gb hd
photoshop CS2 (remember, using rosetta)

Running:
safari
ichat

Uptime:
~4 days

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
neib said:
Just to give you guys a comparison for core duo, I did the blur test on an acer 8204 notebook that runs at 2ghz (core duo obviously) with 2gb ram and a 5400rpm drive.
I got 43 seconds.
So expect that or most likely better once photoshop is in universal binaries.
btw, I found this, and yes. . . pc people are doing the test too, probably someone who saw this thread.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=926660&radial+blur

Check it out - this PC Core Duo with 2Gb running natively got 43 seconds, and the iMac with 2Gb Ram, got 47 seconds under Rosetta.

That's not much difference between native and non-native now is it!

Chuck.

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
technicolor said:
imac g5 2.0ghz
1.5 ram
cs2

1:45

I don't think that radial blur test is a very good one - the Intel Macs do it faster than the G5s!

Chuck.

neib

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2006
Chuck said:
Hey - could you do the 2B test in this thread on your Acer? I'd love to know what it's like on that one.

Chuck.
Was 2b the resize/rotate or the driver heaven test?
I did them both anyhow. Just to reiterate, this is an acer 8204 with a 2.0ghz core duo and 2 gb of ram laptop for people who don't know what i'm talking about.

resize: 2.8 seconds
(I have no idea how this happened, I did this like 5 times rechecking the instructions just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Photoshop really does have it's cross-platform differences)
rotate: 2 minutes 5 seconds

Driver Heaven test came in at 229.4 seconds.

47 seconds on rosetta? that's some nice programming they've done. I can only imagine what happens when photoshop is native.

neib

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2006
Heh, nevermind, I found the 2b test. It's been a while since i've looked at this thread.
It came in at 2 minutes 18 seconds.

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
neib said:
Heh, nevermind, I found the 2b test. It's been a while since i've looked at this thread.
It came in at 2 minutes 18 seconds.

This is really interesting...

On the radial blur test, the Acer (native) is only 9.3% faster than the Intel iMac.
On the photoshop action, the Acer is only 13% faster than the Intel iMac.

Both machines are the same processor speed and have the same amount of Ram. Difference being platform (pc/mac) and native/rosetta.

This could mean one of two things:
1. The UB version of Photoshop on the mac is going to kick the PC equivalent's butt, or
2. The UB version on the mac will not be massively faster than it is already.

Hope it's the former and not the latter.

Chuck.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I could be wrong, but I think running things in Rosetta would have a greater effect on the snappiness of things than on the running time of a single action. Since Rosetta only needs to translate the radial blur code once, it doesn't see a large hit (9%), but the action which I assume has several different operations see a larger performance hit (13%). That it also sucks up a lot of memory will add to the snappiness problem.

Is it reasonable to assume that the perceived performance hit will be much greater than 13% because of this?

neib

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2006
gekko513 said:
I could be wrong, but I think running things in Rosetta would have a greater effect on the snappiness of things than on the running time of a single action. Since Rosetta only needs to translate the radial blur code once, it doesn't see a large hit (9%), but the action which I assume has several different operations see a larger performance hit (13%). That it also sucks up a lot of memory will add to the snappiness problem.

Is it reasonable to assume that the perceived performance hit will be much greater than 13% because of this?

This is more of a side note but it kind of relates. I did the test many times and they all ended up the in the same ballpark (the time I gave you is a middle ground). However, one run clocked in at 3:05. It's safe to assume that your system can hang a little if you ask it to do processes one after another so quickly. I think that's why driver heaven has you stop between actions.

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Hey BB (and anyone else with an Intel iMac)...

I'm impressed with the speed of photoshop under Rosetta. It's faster than my current machine, which for some things is getting a bit tedious.

But I have to admit, I've been holding out since the announcement, thinking maybe I'll wait for the revision B.

I've read a lot of people's experience with bugs in the current RevA, such as the video tearing (fixed now), slow internet, problems reconnecting to internet when waking from sleep among others (mostly found via Reader Reviews on Macintouch).

So are you 100% happy with your machine? Do you think I should hold out for the RevB or do you think I should just go and order my 20" with 2Mb Ram?

Chuck.

jibberia

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
WOW.

Just got my macbook pro, activated CS2:

59 seconds.

I am blown away. My 1.67 pbg4 took something like 2:12 (if memory serves me correctly). And I'm still running "just" 1gb ram!

I can't WAIT for a universal binary. It's going to be CRAZY fast!

Oh - mail, safari w/ multiple tabs, and textmate were open during this. Used the Stopwatch widget.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
jibberia said:
WOW.

Just got my macbook pro, activated CS2:

59 seconds.

I am blown away. My 1.67 pbg4 took something like 2:12 (if memory serves me correctly). And I'm still running "just" 1gb ram!

I can't WAIT for a universal binary. It's going to be CRAZY fast!

Oh - mail, safari w/ multiple tabs, and textmate were open during this. Used the Stopwatch widget.

You should get a commission! I read your posting this morning and decided to get a MBP today - called up the Apple store here in San Francisco, and picked it up at noon.

I'm off for a month long photo shoot in Germany/Spain, and wanted to do some processing on the road in Aperture 1.1. I saw a demo this Tues and theysaid we would be awed with the Intel version / MBP graphics. So I fly out Mar 29 - hopefully the "March release" of the Aperture Universal wouldn't screw me by coming on March 31. (I could still do the update in Germany, but I'd like to have it working before heading off.)

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
After moving all of my files over to this 2 x 1.25 PM G4, I immediately found that test.jpg file.

Results:

1:10 - PM G4 2x1.25GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB, 10.4.5
2:12 - 12" PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 80GB, 10.4.5

This PowerMac has plenty of life left.

1dterbeest

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
Waupun, WI
Using Photoshop 7:

4 min 44 sec
-imac 800mhz, 512, 80gb

1 min 3 sec
-macbookpro 1.83ghz, 512, 80gb

the macbook pro fared better
than I even expected! I knew
that Photoshop 7 was still faster
on my MBP, but wow! Just wait
till I can natively run Photoshop!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.