Apple Mac + iPod Promo (rebate)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MattJessop, Jun 14, 2007.

1. MattJessop macrumors regular

MattJessop

Very strange question here -

As I've mentioned before, I'm using my girlfriend's education discount to buy a Macbook when I'm over in the US, and now recently the free iPod promotion has come on.

As a question? How do the rebates work? If the rebate is mailed in, how is the cash given back to you? By mail? Through tax rebates? or just credited back to the account you bought with?

Excuse me for my complete lack of how the rebate system works, us Brits have no comparable system over here :p Just our 17.5% tax :)

2. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

They are sent by check in the mail, and I believe they have to be sent to a US address for the US iPod+Mac promotion.

3. MattJessop thread starter macrumors regular

MattJessop

Yeah, I realised that she would have to get the rebate if it was sent by mail *shrugs* oh well, I was gonna get the macbook without the iPod anyway.

Just so happens my iPod died yesterday as a result of VERY heavy rain :-( Sucks to be me.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Have you tried blow-drying it and letting it sit a while? My 3G/15GB iPod and I got caught running in the rain last week. When I got home, it was still on, but thought that it was 12AM. After that, it started behaving erratically, failing to boot up, giving the folder icon or other errors, etc. Later that first night, I got as far as the diagnostics but it failed the HD scan. It even had some moisture in between the plastic shell and the LCD screen. I thought to myself that it was quite ironic that it died while my Nano was in the mail on its way to me.

However, I let it sit, blowdried it, particularly aiming at the gaps and seams and ports, and after a while, and some futzing, I was able to get it to mount. I had to restore it twice to get it to work, but it did ultimately work, and now seems to be fully functional again. Meaning I can keep my Nano in my armband for running and use the other one for everything else. :)

5. MattJessop thread starter macrumors regular

MattJessop

Heh, yeah - It has occured to me to do that.

One of my friends left her nano in the wash, and she managed to fix it by letting it sit in an airing cupboard for 2 weeks.

I am either going to try doing that - or claim on my home insurance against accidental damage (which will probably work, seeing as rain counts as accidental damage) - UK insurance companies are fairly generous ^_^