Apple Mac Pro: Does Expandability Really Matter?

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
Honestly, I think the first company to come along with a slick, functional, and not-too-expensive all-in-one Thunderbolt enclosure (ports, optical drive(s), at least 4 HDDs, and at least 2 PCIe slots) is going to make a killing off the pro market.

Thunderbolt-only expansion wouldn't be so bad if you could just set the Mac Pro on top of a single enclosure and run a couple Thunderbolt cables between the two.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Looks like he got served a glass of that famous Apple Kool Aid.

His math is off...ALOT off.

Claiming that TB2 = PCIE 2 shows they left this story with Earl, the new intern in the mail room.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Honestly, I think the first company to come along with a slick, functional, and not-too-expensive all-in-one Thunderbolt enclosure (ports, optical drive(s), at least 4 HDDs, and at least 2 PCIe slots) is going to make a killing off the pro market.

Thunderbolt-only expansion wouldn't be so bad if you could just set the Mac Pro on top of a single enclosure and run a couple Thunderbolt cables between the two.
A giant cup holder...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Don't forget the hardware raid controller for the disks.

I'm torn about having all that in a single external enclosure. On the other hand I could see stackable enclosures for sections of that. I would at the least not have room for HDs/SSDs in a combo box since disk solutions are so different for everyone.

Currently, it looks like the best optical disk and port expansion solution is the Sonnet Dock. It should be available before the Mac Pro is. The other advantage of a dock like this is you can place it on the desk where it's very easy to reach and won't take up much space.

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
from pcmag

>PCIe 2.0 has a theoretical max bandwidth of 4Gbps, well under the theoretical limit of Thunderbolt (10Gbps per channel).

4Gbps per line, a full slot has 16 lines.

Author is .|..ing dumb ass.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

Why do we have internal interfaces that are so ridiculously faster than even our fastest external interfaces? Is it a question of distance?

Loa

goMac

macrumors 604
Apr 15, 2004
Hello,

Why do we have internal interfaces that are so ridiculously faster than even our fastest external interfaces? Is it a question of distance?

Loa
It's a question of distance. It's why Thunderbolt is also not really long distance until you get to the optical cables.

And anyone comparing Thunderbolt to high speed PCIe is wrong at this point. It'll happen eventually, but we're not there yet.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
from pcmag

>PCIe 2.0 has a theoretical max bandwidth of 4Gbps, well under the theoretical limit of Thunderbolt (10Gbps per channel).

4Gbps per line, a full slot has 16 lines.

Author is .|..ing dumb ass.
Yes, I wrote him and pointed out that for a Tech writer to make such a glaring mistake was both foolish and unprofessional. Looks like the Kool Aid Squad got to him.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
Ok, you win.

He's just a moron
You pretty much summed up my thoughts of not recommending fellow Mac Pro owners grom not doing any business with you based off your recent conduct & trash talking about the new Mac Pro.

Last edited:

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
You pretty much summed up my thoughts of not recommending fellow Mac Pro owners, not doing any business with you based off your recent conduct & trash talking about the new Mac Pro.
People can have a private life. It takes all kinds and really trash talk is a win in my book. Macvid just gained back the virtual customers he lost. This is fun. :D

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
You pretty much summed up my thoughts of not recommending fellow Mac Pro owners, not doing any business with you based off your recent conduct & trash talking about the new Mac Pro.
The basis of the entire article is about expandability.

Due to a simple & avoidable math error, he makes conclusion that TB2 will offer parity with PCIE 2.0 16x.

It is in fact 1/4 the speed of PCIE 2.0 16x.

So the whole premise of his article is in error.

His error was noted days ago in comments section.

I have emailed him.

No correction has appeared.

What other conclusion can be reached?

Again I point out that THE ENTIRE PURPOSE AND PREMISE OF THE ARTICLE RESTS ON THIS FIGURE. THE FIGURE IS WRONG.

softwareguy256

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
For the fanboys, the only thing that matters is the official word from apple's marketing team. Everything else by definition does not matter.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
For the fanboys, the only thing that matters is the official word from apple's marketing team. Everything else by definition does not matter.
You're going to end up with Kool Aid stains if you're not careful.

For a good laugh, check out the new Mac Pro vs my 2009.

Attachments

ekwipt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008

Already here, Netstor are being used by other companies including Magma as OEM for Thunderbolt expansion, Areca makes similar products as well

http://www.netstor.com.tw/_03/03_02.php?MTE2

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I put some 5680s in my 2009.

They were $750/each used on Ebay.

Also got some 1333 RAM to get the full bump.

Upgradability and Expandability, two things that got "innovated" right out of the new one.
In terms of cpus, it might be possible if we weren't on the revision B part of a socket/chipset cycle. I get that Apple is trying to crush that. I wouldn't look at one of these without considering the lack of expandability against the price.

goMac

macrumors 604
Apr 15, 2004
In terms of cpus, it might be possible if we weren't on the revision B part of a socket/chipset cycle. I get that Apple is trying to crush that. I wouldn't look at one of these without considering the lack of expandability against the price.
To be fair, I'd expect CPU swaps in the new Mac Pro would be just as Apple supported as they were in the old Mac Pro.

That is to say, they can be done, but they're not at all Apple supported.