Apple Mac Pro's - glaring design flaw - shipping lemons to consumers and acting shady

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mbf5000, Jul 3, 2014.

1. mbf5000 macrumors newbie

I purchased a brand new MacPro a month and a couple weeks ago and all has been a joy until a few weeks ago when out of nowhere my startup screen (dual monitor setup) would freeze/pixelate and log-in would be impossible. This problem would happen every second or third time I would start my computer and the only way any of the over-the-phone tech advisors would solve it was to reset my PRAM or boot up in safe mode.
    My computer has been troubleshooted multiple times via AppleCare Technical Support's Senior Engineers, it has been brought into an Apple Store for 4 days (whereby the technicians urged me to request a replacement computer because they couldn't pinpoint my problem), I have since spoken to 2 additional Senior Technical Advisers who have been absolutely no help whatsoever in solving my issue, I have had Apple's team of engineers review my Capture Log report and at their suggestion I have updated my software and STILL nothing has changed.
    I work from home and I rely STRONGLY on this system for my job and for my clients. Every day that goes by that I experience this kind of nonsense I am losing time, and I am tarnishing my reputation.
    I have saved long and hard for this system and I had repeatedly pleaded with Apple to send me a new computer with the same configurations as this so I can get on with my job. I was not asking for a refund. I was not asking for anything for free. I was simply asking for a machine that works. I am absolutely disgusted. If I wanted this level of service I would have saved myself the extra $3,000 and purchased a Dell.

A few co-workers of mine had recently purchased these new Mac Pro's as well and are now starting to have the exact same problems as I am.

After REPEATEDLY e-mailing, tweeting, calling, etc. Apple's technical team and executive board of consumer relations Apple FINALLY agreed to refund my computer, but would not issue a replacement and I was told, and I quote, "Apple feels as though replacing your tower will not fix your problem", but I was NOT given any of the results to the capture log or Timing Snoop tests that were done. Apple said the case was an open investigation and these results WOULD NOT be shared with me.

My belief is that Apple is on the cusp of a MASSIVE PR CRISIS. These computers have innate design flaws, be it hardware or software, and Apple doesn't want bad press to get out. That is why they would not issue me a replacement, because they knew I'd have the same problems again.

Apple's engineers need to do a massive overhaul and a re-design.
    My advice to you is to wait at least 4 to 6 months before purchasing a replacement. I certainly know I will be.

2. bxs macrumors 6502

Did you take your dual monitors in with the Mp6,1 to the Apple Store... it seems to me that your displays are critical to understanding the issues.... especially if two other displays do not show the same symptoms.

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Here's what I got from your post (what little I read): blah blah blah.... One bad computer = over reaction. Have you seem many posts on here with people getting duds? The answer is a big NO! And message boards are generally the first place people go to whine about their computers.

You got a dud (I think frankly I didn't make it past the first few sentances because afterall these are message boards and NOT NOVEL boards learn about brevity please), accept it, move on, and stop making outrageous claims about the sky falling. I guarantee Apple Engineers know way more than you.

4. reco2011 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear about your problem. Hopefully not symptomatic of an overall issue with the nMP. As for Dell support they probably would have had a replacement out to you overnight.

----------

Can you realistically conclude this given the nMP is quite young? Likewise see the following:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1749514

5. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

Your experience has not been mine. I had issues with my new Mac Pro that wouldn't recognize monitors attached with an apple dual link adapter with 10.9.2. They admitted a problem and pointed me to a dev build of 10.9.3 that fixed it. It took 2+ months but they kept me. In the loop.

In the end a bought 4 new monitors that I was certain would have no issues. If the problems you are having can be solved with new display port monitors, consider it

6. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Mate are you rude much?

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So, "I don't know what is causing the issue, be it HW or SW, but it's clear to me that there is a glaring design flaw."

What kind of logic is that? :confused:

Also, I've read that 10.9.4 is solving many issues with multi-monitor setups. I don't know if you've upgraded yet given that it came out very recently. Give it a shot if you can. Sorry to hear your having issues with your machine.

8. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Dell comes to you

Dell would come to your home or office the next business day and fix it on the spot.

When I've had a strange problem like yours, the technician brings a new mobo, new CPU(s) and memory so that in the worst case he can replace all the innards with new.

9. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

Pity you did not buy a Dell or whatever other China computer

My belief is THAT you made so many people AT Apple so truly crazy that they were glad to get rid of you since they knew that you would never be satisfied
    :eek:
    I learnt after many years and many experiences that Apple's Customer Service is TOP and their Senior Advisers did not learn what they know in a box of corn flakes but are truly helpful and their knowledge deserves great respect.:)

My advise to you is STOP GIVING UNREQUESTED ADVISES! :(

Buy some chinese made computer and keep your hatred and frustration for yourself.
    I have received my nMP 3 months ago and it works ALL THE TIME PERFECTLY WELL!
    Actually no computer maker including DELL wants your SORT OF CLIENTS.
    Greetings to DELL! Let them enjoy you...:rolleyes:

10. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

Thank you very much.
    Now I finally know I made such a big mistake buying a nMP instead of a Dell.
    Strangely my nMP works perfectly well but this must be a temporary situation absolutely abnormal and no doubt it will be soon entirely out of order.
    Good to know it in advance! :D

11. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Nope realist. I tell it as it is. You want me to sugar coat my response? Would a picture of a kitten make the truth earlier to swallow? What about some multi colored text? Truth hurts sometimes. Fact is he doesn't know what the problem of his Mac Pro was but starts declaring the end is near. Basically any chance of me taking him serious was lost.

12. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

This.

HP and Lenovo also offer similar services. I've had Lenovo send a technician down to my house to replace the motherboard on a second hand machine I bought from a flea market (it was still in warranty). No questions asked. HP sent down a tech to replace a bad CPU on an ML-350 G5 server I had bought from them. I hadn't bought an extended warranty or anything either.

When I bought my Mac Pro (brand new, cost over $9K) it shipped with a defective lower superdrive that I didn't notice until I went to copy a bunch of disks. Apple insisted that I take the entire machine down to the local service centre, let them pull out the defective drive, cart the entire thing home, then bring it back again to get the new unit installed again.

Apple seems to be unique in that they demand that:

A) Customers be unable to service their own machines, and
    B) Customers drag their machine down to an Apple store to have it serviced

IMHO; Apple's warranty is ****. I don't know why people praise it over their competitors.

-SC

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Actually if you have AppleCare they can send a tech to your home if you have a Mac Pro [or Xserve].

Only the AppleCare that you have to buy separately. Not the standard one-year warranty (which people like to erroneously call AppleCare) or the three-year education warranty they have in Europe (which confuses people into wondering why they sell AppleCare to them).

14. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

I've heard this several times. I have lived in several cities (Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, and Victoria). Never once have I been able to successfully get Apple to dispatch a technician to my house to fix any of my machines. I have always been polite/courteous/firm when dealing with Apple and they have never, ever gone out of their way to support me like this.

It took one phone call and 5 minutes on the phone to setup an appointment with a Lenovo technician, as previously mentioned. I didn't even have to ask- the guy on the other end basically just asked me when they could come down and fix it and that was that. The service tech was at my house within +/- 10 minutes of the appointment time the next day and the machine was back up and running in less then 20 minutes.

Maybe it's a US thing, but up here in Canada, that doesn't seem to be the case. The last response I got from them about this exact issue was "it's up to the local Apple Service Centre", who of course did not make house calls. In the cities I've lived in with local Apple stores (Calgary and Vancouver), it was always "you gotta take it down to the Apple store". Whenever I asked about a service call they denied that possibility.

-SC

15. brentsg macrumors 68040

LOL, and also knows that it needs a massive redesign..

16. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

I do not know where you found that wrong information or in which European country (if any) this might be true???
    I am in Europe and the Apple Care you buy here through Education is as valid as any other 3 year Apple Care.
    In Switzerland according to law a device has presently a 2 year warranty.
    Therefore many people hesitated to buy the 3 year Apple Care.
    However those 2 years cover only faults present at the time of buying, which might be difficult to prove.
    Therefore Apple's 3 year Apple Care is still the safe way to go and I bought it accordingly.
    It is not such a huge amount of money after all!