Apple Mac vs. Apple PC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mhnajjar, May 24, 2008.

1. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

I know that there has been a discussion about which one to choose, but this is not my point here. I would like to know if the differences between a MBP and the top quality build and style PC (SONY VAIO AR) really worth over $1000 :confused: Is Apple ripping us off? I know that the MBP has more expensive material (Aluminum) compared to the Vaio AR but is that + Leopard + weight worth over $1000?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...Id=10151&langId=-1&LBomId=8198552921665300946

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...9464002/wo/1l7ecrGCijwB26yjhUG27raA2eg/2.?p=0

BTO and find out yourself!

I still prefer the MBP to anything else mainly because it runs Leopard and it is Apple but I also do not want to be ripped off.

2. kwfl macrumors 6502

site under maintenance, will see latter

i believe that there is some sort of rip off especially if you buy the MBP less than 3 months before updates. However it is not that big outside the 3 month period. You are getting quality computer and probably care. Macs do not depreciate that much in value too.

3. 7031 macrumors 6502

I've owned a Sony Vaio, and IMO it's a piece of ****.

Seriously, it is slow as a dead turtle, and yet it's a 1.8Ghz Core 2 Duo with 1GB of RAM.

Do yourself a favour and get a Mac.

4. LinMac macrumors 65816

I think people tend to forget that the small details are what make a Mac actually a Mac.

It goes from small touches like a backlit keyboard and multitouch trackpad all the way to using the latest hardware from Intel under the hood. These can add value to the machine, but it is up to you to decide which computer you would like to buy.

Is it actually a $1000 difference? I doubt it. I've seen many comparisons, but before I purchased my Mac I went to match the chipsets used in the Macbook Pro including higher end video chipset with equal amounts of dedicated/discreet video memory only to find that the costs were roughly equal.

5. mhnajjar thread starter macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

It used to be around $400 when I got my 17" SR MBP last September, but it is over $1000 now and yet you get larger HDD space and few extras such as free engraving and ...

6. mhnajjar thread starter macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

You have a Harley and you are asking for a credit card size computer :confused: why don't you get a scooter then :p JK! I guess all of us dream of those specs ..

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't compare a VAIO AR to a MBP. If you want to compare anything to a MBP, take the Thinkpad T61p which is cost you about the same.

8. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

yeah....mbp's are on the high end, but you do get what you pay for. now on the note i would like to see better quality control coming out of china for the price we are willing to pay for these machines. some of these defects are just crazy.

9. mhnajjar thread starter macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

I completely agree with you ;)

10. mhnajjar thread starter macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

How is that? The AR & MBP have similar hardware specs (I am not saying that any PC would come close to a Mac performance wise, Windows = devil), but I do not see any of that with the Lenovo T61p.

However, I am not comparing anything to the beloved MBP. I am just trying to find a justification for Apple regarding their prices. I am sure if there was another company competing with Apple, then the prices would be more reasonable. For the meantime, we have to pay whatever their asking price is because they are the "BEST" no doubts about that.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread :)

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The difference is closer ro $800 - don't forget to get "comparable" Operating Systems you need to add Vista ultimate onto the Vaio. Personally, I think the difference between a MacBook Pro and a Vaio is well worth the extra cost.
    At the end of the day, we live in a free market economy - Apple set the price and people either pay it or don't

12. LinMac macrumors 65816

Actually the linked Vaio is 2.1GHz while the linked Macbook Pro is 2.6GHz. That is a big difference spread over 2 cores with a 1GHz overall difference if you take both cores into account.

I don't want to be seen as defending Apple's pricing as it doesn't need defending, but the differences are big enough to consider.

13. mhnajjar thread starter macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

I am sorry but it seems you misunderstood the links because you are supposed to configure both machines (since the configurations won't be saved) and then you will see what we are talking about.

2.5 C2D
    17" 1920x1200
    2GB Ram
    512 nVidia 8600GT
    and so on ...

14. Matek macrumors 6502a

I also agree it would be better to compare the MBP to a T61p. After you BTO the Thinkpad accordingly, the price difference is about 700 USD (1300 vs 2000), both have some advantages.

Besides the obviousely lower price T61p has a professional graphics solution (Quadro instead of GeForce), a higher resolution (1680x1050 instead of 1440x900), a slightly bigger hard drive (250 vs. 200), dock support (big deal for some people), support for extended battery and the little scroll thingy many prefer over the trackpad.

MBP on the other hand is slightly smaller and lighter, it also sports a longer battery life (if standard batteries are compared). It has a DVI port and a LED backlight. Most will also say it's much prettier than the T61p.

If we ignore the design and smaller features - I think it's fair to say design quality is pretty equal - you will basically get an equal machine (quality and performance) from Lenovo for $700 less. But the dealbreaker here is of course OS X - a lot of people are simply willing to pay that kind of money for it.

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

16. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

So, the OSX tax is up to $700 on an Apple laptop. What I don't understand is why there is no equivelant OSX tax on the Mac Pro desktop which is an outstanding value compared to PC workstations. :confused:

17. Matek macrumors 6502a

Apparently Apple they did their calculations, they always were strong in the Professional Workstation market, apparently they want to stay there for long.

18. m1stake macrumors 68000

Intel® Core 2™ Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHZ)
    Microsoft® Windows Vista® Ultimate with Service Pack 1
    2 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR2-667, 1 GBx2)
    240 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [5400 rpm]
    DVD±R DL / DVD±RW / DVD-RAM Drive
    LCD 17"WUXGA (XBRITE-HiColor™) with integrated video camera
    No TV Tuner
    WLAN (802.11a/b/g/n) with integrated Bluetooth® technology
    Standard Battery (BPS9A/B)
    No Engraving
    Microsoft® Works
    Photo Standard
    Video Standard
    QuickBooks Simple Start
    Norton 360™ All-In-One Security (60 Day Trial)

For $2000. That's a $500 difference, not $1000.

Apple makes a better looking computer that's more enjoyable to use.

One thing that's not listed with the MBP but should be: Longevity. Apple computers don't start feeling slow after 2 years of use. I've got a G4 from 2001, and the only thing it can't do is HD video playback. Try using Youtube on a PC from 2001 and see what happens.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Because the VAIO AR is a mainstream laptop (which Apple is missing BTW). The MBP is professional line according to Apple which is equivalent to the Lenovo T61p which is a professional computer as well, not to mention you can get it with Linux, so makes it performance-wise, just as good in the OS department.

20. Hmac macrumors 68020

Apple's computer sales are up, their revenues are up, and their market share is increasing.

Sounds like their pricing is just right.

21. mhnajjar thread starter macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

I am sorry but an equivalent MBP (keep in mind 17" hi-res) costs $2899. I did my calculations on a Vista HP not Ultimate so there is an extra $150. However it is way more than the $500 you mentioned above.

At the end, we are all Mac users but I just wanted to make a point that Apple has to decrease its prices in order to attract more customers. On the other hand, I am afraid that if they increase their user base and reach that of a PC, we'll end up with crappy machiens and OS.

Please do not consider this as an Apples vs. Oranges comparison since that is NOT the goal of this thread.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

How does this explain their increase in market share in the premium computer market?

23. kwfl macrumors 6502

I am just revising my managements notes for exams :D

I think that apple has acheived a high qulaity brand name, so people are happily paying with expectations that they will get the best product, service whatever. It leads to what i call blind buying. Just what happened when i bought the iphone, because it had an apple at the back, yet it wasnt up to my expectations.

so if i am right, apple can still gain market share which may reduce qulaity (some people think that it already there). However if it is done in a controlled rate, quality may be maintained.

:apple:

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well according to Stephen Baker, "If you don't give people a choice, people will spend more."

http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/content/channel/macs_defy_windows-gravity.html