Apple MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 for $300

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tubeexperience, Mar 22, 2016.

1. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Someone is offering to sell me an Apple MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 (3 months old) for $300.

The laptop has previously has water spilled on, but is still functioning correctly.

I opened the bottom case and can see some corrosion, so I plan to remove & clean logic board.

The keyboard is working fine, but I planned to replace that as well.

I have previously serviced many MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs, so the disassembly doesn't dissuade me.

Anyway, is $300 a good price to gamble on this?

2. Asmoday macrumors member

Hey if you are confident in your skills and the parts won't cost you much you should do it.

3. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

The biggest concern is that the logic board might fail down the road and, of cause, the logic board is expensive to replace.

The keyboard is pretty cheap. I have done numerous disassemblies and reassemblies so that's not much of a concern either.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

They keyboard on that model is a pain and 9/10 time requires a whole top case. Cleaning the logic board is simple with circuit board cleaner and a soft toothbrush. For the price I'd go for it

5. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

logic board is rusted and will eventually fail; cost of one of those is 7-800 dollars. So it's cheaper to just buy a refurb one now for 1099.

6. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

I've heard of water damaged macs run for years. Id take a 300 gamble. It's still worth something even if it fails.

7. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

The way that Apple glued the battery to the upper case makes removing the keyboard difficult.

Since it is a water spill and not some sticky liquid spill, hopefully I don't have to remove the keyboard

8. tubeexperience, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016

tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

My drunken significant other spilled water on my MacBook Pro. I disassembled it and cleaned out the water.

It is still running today. In fact, I am typing on it right now.

This is probably why I am incline to take the gamble.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If it is corroded it is just a matter of time until it fails. Nobody can tell you how long though.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Seems like a risk worth taking, get it clean and the corrosion gone, get it dry and it should last well.