Apple Macbook Pro 15 Unibody Armor Carbon Fiber

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skywalker0924, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Skywalker0924 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I just got a new 15" Macbook Pro and I wanted to get some kind of protective skin for it. I came across Bodyguardz Unibody Armor Carbon Fiber skin and it looks really promising, but I haven't been able to find any reviews on it. Has anyone heard of this product or currently have it? Or does anyone know of another skin that may be just as good/better?

Link: http://www.bodyguardz.com/carbon-fiber-macbook-pro-15-unibody-2009-grouped.html

[​IMG]

2. ViviUO macrumors 6502

I would also like to learn more about this. All I really care about is if it leaves behind residue or not. Their YouTube page seems to give details on all their products except this one.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

If only apple would make their MBA/MBP line out of carbon fiber already!

4. r3voLoLwuT macrumors member

A carbon fiber MBA would be insanely light.... that would be a AWESOME!

5. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

hi guys,i just got an "icarbons" skin for my macbook pro 15,was round 50 $ for it,and its like carbon fibre but is stick on for back,top and keyboard,
    it looks great,wernt that hard to install,i will attempt to post some pics in a min,i like it a lot,it dont make my mbpro heat up like the plastic incase cover i used to use,and it went on without any bubbles,i used a hair dryer to get the edges,check out icarbons,good quality i think,

hope the fotos work,have a geezer at my rig,ps the apple logo is my creation outta the leftover stick on tuff etc.

Attached Files:

6. Tonepoet, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

Tonepoet macrumors regular

Slight design flaw that I believe is applicable to these products in general. I set my MBP down on a bag yesterday and it slid down/dropped. Luckily the thing is still working alright but it fell on the port side and well, now my ethernet port is slightly bent out of shape. A small bit of a shame.

Yeah it's mostly my own fault for not being careful and I do feel the case did help some but it's also something I feel that the item could've protected against, had there been a little polycarbonate there to take the blow in its place. The display's bezel is perfectly fine and none of the plastic so much as even cracked.I realize these cases need to allow you access to the ports but it'd be nice if there was a plastic slipcover to put over the gap when they aren't in use. Maybe a plastic slide that'd just clip into the ethernet slot or something like that?

Personally using a (*)Speck by the way but I see this case doesn't have anything covering that area either. Juuuust something to be aware of in case you thought you'd be totally covered, at least insofar as cosmetics go.

7. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

They look good but they aren't real carbon fiber are they? I'd buy one but only if it were real carbon fiber given its advantages. However, the costs would be astronomical in regards to production costs and the odds of a real CF case being made is small IMO.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...it would also stay very cool and match much of the "aftermarket toys" I have on my motorcycle...

My carbon fiber exhaust cans are cool to the touch so it would be a great casing for a LV SB/IB CPU!

9. Skywalker0924 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so I checked out iCarbons, they look pretty good, but the one thing that concerns me is that the iCarbons version does not provide coverage on the sides: [​IMG]

Whereas the Bodyguardz version does have some protection. Any thoughts?

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

While you are probably buying it for scratch protection and not dent/impact protection, just in case you are, I don't think you will get substantial protection from it beyond scratch protection, in which the anodized coating is rather resistant to as it is. If you are going for scratch protection, I would say the sides are probably the area that is most vulnerable to being scratched, other than the bottom of the case (that you don't see), so side protection is probably worthwhile.

11. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

yes the sides,good point,i thought the same thing,when i get a chance,im going to buy some scotch stick on stuff,nd make my own,couldnt be that hard,i had a good incase plastic job,but dirt got down inbetween the case sides and the mbpro,and scratched it without me knowing,this way,yeh,you dont get ding protection,but you dont get the heat buildup either,and hey,just be careful anyway,i like it cos its well made ,went on easy,looks good,and protects from scratches,which is really all i need,if i get the sides done,il post pics to show u ok.