Apple / Macbook Pro "Fanboy" terminology

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cogmission, Oct 23, 2008.

1. cogmission macrumors newbie

Let's finally put this issue to rest.

When considering the world in which we live, one must ask themselves how do the choices I make affect the world around me? Considering that the focal point of all movement is toward that which takes the least amount of work, in order to turn the most amount of profits - how do my choices impact the world around me?

If I buy product from a company which innovates nothing, consumes other innovative ideas and resources, and produces bland products which resemble every other product and adds nothing to the evolution of design, while functioning poorly or in a compromisingly neglectful way - then I strengthen that aspect in the market place and remove the ability of those who innovate, to provide choices for me.

I love Apple as a company and I want them to do well - because it's not often that you get "truly" innovative corporate entities in this world - most corporations just want to "homogenize" existence - distilling it down to a few basic variations which are easy to reproduce; all for the sake of the bottom line. The fact that Apple is forcing innovation into the market - causes a corporate strata that doesn't tolerate vanilla design ethics - and I think that is a good thing.

I don't want to live in a neighborhood where the only choices I have for food are, McDonalds, Starbucks, Olive Garden, etc. anymore than I want to use the same old square black laptop with Windows on it.

So I believe being a "fanboy" isn't a bad thing if one is really discriminating about what is being supported - while keeping an eye toward the "big picture". Because believe me when I tell you that there are those out there who, for the sake of the almighty dollar - would reduce your choices down to the color gray as long as their coffers are full of "green".

2. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Apple, like any other corporation, exists for the sole purpose of making money. I have no idea why you wrote this post (or why I'm reading it), but here is a star for your efforts - *. Now go do something productive with your life.

3. donbadman macrumors regular

"A few variations which are easy to reproduce" - isn't this exactly what they've done with the macbook/pro?

"a corporate strata that doesn't tolerate vanilla design ethics" WTF does this waffle mean? Speak english person

4. cogmission thread starter macrumors newbie

A better example would be more like, every laptop by every computer manufacturer making a macbook/pro - thus reducing your purchase options down to 2 choices period.

You honestly can't understand what I am saying? Or do you just object to my style of speaking? If it's the former, then I truly feel sorry for you. If it's the latter, then perhaps you should try expressing exactly that, rather than expressing your disdain for "waffle" by regurgitating more of the same... :p

5. cogmission thread starter macrumors newbie

To answer your question, I'm just sick of those who's first reaction is to condemn Apple products out of some knee-jerk hatred for the company or some misguided preference (misguided because they believe in their point of view without actually trying out Apple products themselves).

I object to being called a "fanboy", or those who support Apple's products being called "fanboys" because if those who did it really thought about the virtues they were extolling - they probably would see that because Apple exists - all other products benefit from the "bar-raising" Apple does.

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

As my mama would say, "they are just being jealous."

7. ipponrg macrumors 6502

I don't think an "Apple fanboy" is particularly a bad thing. It doesnt exhibit jealousy or hatred. A fanboy is usually a term given to someone who is naive. Whenever my roommate tells me that his Macbook is the best thing on earth, I ask him can it do some task. He just shuts up and realizes that Macs will not be able to achieve everything that PCs can do.

It doesnt stop me from wanting one though.. I love the sleek design. However, i'm not naive or oblivious to its problems.

8. cogmission thread starter macrumors newbie

Such as? Oh wait - that's right, Macs can't Blue Screen! :D

9. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I just think some people defend apple and steve jobs as if they get royalty checks every month from apple and it's kind of annoying. why devote yourself so hard-core to a company that cares about the money you spend on them way more than they care about you.

if you for a split second think that apple does things with your concern in mind and not with your wallet in mind then you are sadly mistaken.

I feel like some people would take a bullet for steve jobs sometimes lol, when in fact steve jobs could care less about them, they are just another dollar sign to him.

10. cogmission thread starter macrumors newbie

Well did you read the reason for defending Apple as a company? (re: the op's [me] original post) - there are obvious reasons for adopting this point of view - it improves things all-around.

Your statement vs. a "fanboy's" statement are merely two sides of the same coin - the coin being highly positional belief. The fact is, no company can survive without considering the bottom line - but does that mean that the "way" in which they participate in the market has to be without any concern for the excellence of their products, or without concern for the impact of their products on its customers? I say no...

11. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Reduce our choices, huh? You mean like eliminating Firewire? Eliminating DVI for the sake of DisplayPort which carries a lower royalty fee?

12. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Apple, just like microsoft is a large corporate entity that exists for the sole purpose of making money. I don't think apple is all holy and mighty.

13. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Good job n all.

14. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

Funny that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bsod#Mac_OS_X_10.5_Leopard

Anyway, I do realise that Macs are better than PCs, but seriously, being a fanboy over computers is stupid. At then end the day, computers are computers, and being obsessed with them is ridiculous. In my opinion apple fanboys, and windows fanboys for that matter, should go do something more useful with their lives. /rant

15. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I cannot believe how wrapped up you've become in Apple's marketing. As someone previously said, the only thing Apple cares about is our wallets - nothing more. If you think Apple is striving for anything beyond the 'bottom line', then you're sadly mistaken.

Apple does not release high-end consumer products because they think it's the right thing to do, and they don't innovate those products because they think it's what we want.

Apple tells us what we want.

Why do you think they invested so much in the PC/Mac distinction? Apple markets itself as a 'premium' computer company, and their attention to detail is a necessary consequence of their business strategy. I remember hearing some figure that for every $3 spent on a computer, $1 is going straight to Apple. At the end of the day, they're doing what is necessary to gain a profit. Corporations are faceless entities... CEO's don't lay-off workers because they don't care, they lay off workers because the shareholders want to make money. If someone tried to do what was right - if they actually cared - they would be replaced immediately.

As a small example, if Apple really cared about anything other than money, then they would have kept the FW port on the MB. Why did they leave it out? Umm, maybe they wanted to provide a small incentive for consumers to jump to the higher-end MBP? Use your head buddy...

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'll never put any issue to rest, as long as there are two or more differing viewpoints. It's futile to try.
    Apple innovates only if it produces a profit. If no one bought the iPod when it was released, they would have discontinued it quickly. Same goes for all their products. The only way they would discontinue the new MBP is if sales were dismal. The fact that so many buy it, means it's here to stay.
    Make up your mind!
    No, but they can kernel panic or "beachball". Macs aren't perfect. They're great tools, but there's no perfect product anywhere.

As for fanboys, they are usually exactly that: boys! They are typically immature, making arguments for why they like a product or company, based on emotion, rather than logic and reason. They are personally offended if someone doesn't agree with them, and they feel it necessary to "evangelize" the world to their viewpoint. All in all, the fanboy attitude is quite irrational. These are electronic devices, intended to help us accomplish things better than we could accomplish without them. To the extent that they meet our needs, they're worth buying. When they don't meet our needs or expectations, it's perfectly justified to criticize them and/or the company that produces them. Fanboys just need one thing: to grow up!