Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

three1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Hi and evening all. After having a look on google for quite a while I cant find anything directly related to the question im about to ask...

When I view quicktime videos on web pages on my mac and scroll up and down the page it all gets a bit laggy/choppy.

What puzzles me is that on XP Boot Camp its perfectly fine.

A good example would be a HD movie from gametrailers.com http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29027.html

On my mac it lags . On windows BC it is perfectly smooth.

Same thing also happens if im on msn (on OS) and have a message waiting - therefore the icon at the bottom of the screen jumps up and down - it will lag badly (if im typing in any application) if i dont click on the message and just continue using fireFox.

Ive also tested this all out with Safari and the same occurs. Quicktime and adobe Flash are up to date.

This has always been the case. I can use fairly big programs like imovie with no problem.

Any ideas?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Is this only with Safari? What internet plugins do you have installed? Maybe use Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder to check All Processes and see what's using up a lot of your resources when the lagging starts. :)

three1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Sorry, i stupidly didnt make that clear, im using Firefox as default.

Ill check out what you said thanks.

three1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Firefox idly uses 6%
When loading a web page 25%
When I was loading an HD movie from gametrailers it used 79%!

Im not sure if thats normal although im guessing it isnt.

Any ideas here?

three1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
I just tested out Safari and that uses the same % usage that FireFox does. Infact it used 105% whilst loading a web page...

I installed noscripts for FireFox although that hasnt appeared to have effected anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.