Apple Macintosh POWER PC 4400/160 Computer Help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by UK-Robbie, Nov 3, 2014.

1. UK-Robbie macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I have a Macintosh 4400/160 that needs a new power supply. One day plugging the power plug into the computer. The power supply went bang. I have been looking all over the net for a new power supply but i'm not having any luck on finding the same model that as died on me. I have phoned up many companies that sell power supply's. But they have told me that they have won out or it's to hard to find. One guy helped me out eBay on finding a power supply. But coming to try it. The Computer will not turn on.

I need some help on finding a new power supply that will work in this computer. If any body knows where i can find one that fits the model off the power supply that came with the computer.

That will be grate.

Sorry for my bad English.

Thank you
    Robert

2. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hopefully it's not some obscure power supply, although it could be. I would check to see what kind of power supply it originally came with. Get all the information you need, including the dimensions, the wattage of the power supply, where it screws in, etc. You may be able to get some other power supply that could fit it. Just make sure one that you get has the same cables that your last one had... power supplies may look alike, but I once installed one into a computer, only to find out that the plug it used to connect to the motherboard was an entirely different one. Someone COULD be selling an actual PowerMac 4400 power supply on eBay or something, but that may be rare and most likely expensive. Good luck with the project!

3. UK-Robbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, I have looked all over eBay for one but know one is selling one. I have looked for a PSU that may work but the cables are not the same or missing cables that the computer needs. It's getting hard to find any PSU that works with this computer. I don't know if it's best to give up on it as the time i'm putting into it to find a PSU and money. I really don't know but it's a shame as it only needs a PSU and that's all.

I don't know if any one with the shame problem may know what's best to do. As it's a nice computer and loads off history. I hate to bin the full lot.

Thank you :)

4. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I think that even if you don't end up finding a PSU by the end, you should still keep the Mac. PSU or not, it WOULD be a shame to throw the computer out. It's not a well-loved Mac at all, considering Apple's computers were the worst in 1996-7, but they are not necessarily easy to come by; regardless, you still have a classic Mac that should be preserved. And who knows, maybe one day a PSU will show up. I have had similar things happen with computers, where I ended up being glad I saved some computer part, or the like, because I was able to use it for something I had just obtained.

5. NathanJHill macrumors member

NathanJHill

The thing about those 4400s is that they used fairly standard PC components. It was a weird Mac where Apple was trying to cut corners and go with more typical components found in Windows PCs. Because of that, they were sort of okay to work on. I ran a lab full of those machines at my undergrad school.

BTW, Low End Mac suggests replacing the battery before replacing the Power Supply, just in case. It sounds like your power supply did die, but this would be an easy fix before trying to search for a power supply.

With that said, good luck. I was trying to remember if the power supply was just an ATX style, but it does look like it has something different about it. I don't think these Macs are as popular or desired, which could work either way as you search for a spare.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

7. macmannate macrumors regular

Personally looks to be be more of a AT style PSU with AT connectors with soft power connector Making the AT+x part for power up via kb switch etc... Strange.