Apple Magic Mouse 2 and mousepads

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gogreen1, Feb 20, 2018.

1. gogreen1 macrumors regular

gogreen1

I am new to Mac and to things like the Apple Magic Mouse 2. Is there anything to using a "special" mousepad for a Magic Mouse 2? Wouldn't any mousepad that works well with any optical mouse be fine? I am not a gamer. I do like my Magic Mouse 2, which I obtained with my 2017 iMac. However, I do find it pretty jumpy. That is, when I want to select something, such as a file in a list or an item on a webpage, I find the page jumping around a bit, as if I'm chasing the item vertically on the screen. Granted, I am using a VERY old mousepad that works fine with my old Logitech optical mouse. In system preferences I have turned off side-to-side movement, but the mouse is still jumpy. I'm trying to distinguish an actual mousepad problem with a mouse setting I might need to change.

So to isolate the problem, if I try a new mousepad, do I need anything special for a Magic Mouse 2?

2. gogreen1 thread starter macrumors regular

gogreen1

I am remarkably disappointed with the Apple Magic Mouse 2. Magic Mouse 2 is still VERY jumpy and sensitive with a new mousepad. Even though I've turned off side-to-side movement, moving my finger across the mouse still moves a page slightly. In addition, I'm used to keeping my index finger on the mouse lightly, but even that sometimes interferes with selecting because I often have to "chase" down an item to select it--it jitters around a lot. How do I decrease the sensitivity?

3. wlossw macrumors 65816

wlossw

I switched to the Logitech MX master about a year ago from the magic mouse. With a little tweaking and better touch tool, it is a massive upgrade.

4. gogreen1 thread starter macrumors regular

gogreen1

I went back, at least temporarily, to my trusty logitech M310. I haven't yet come to grips that I've wasted $70 on that Magic Mouse 2.

5. Ifti macrumors 68020

Ifti

MY MM2 is smooth - I use a standard fabric finished mousepad (not one of the glossy hard surface ones) and it works perfectly fine.

6. gogreen1 thread starter macrumors regular

gogreen1

Well, I can't account for my MM2's jumpiness and what I'd call over-sensitivity.