Apple magic mouse vs trackpad

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bluebird3, Aug 18, 2014.

1. bluebird3 macrumors regular

Trying to decide which one to get any exigence with them? Pros Cons etc?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you are used to working on a MacBook Air or Pro then I recommend the Trackpad. I have both on my desk but I reach for the mouse more often than the trackpad.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This is a very personal choice and it is hard to give you a recommendation. Can you get to an Apple store and play around with both?

I had the Trackpad and absolutely hated it and sold it. Lots of others here do like it though.

My biggest complaint (I have seen others with this same complaint) it I found it very hard to use it for precise work. Like say you want to move the cursor up to a specific small spot on a zoomed photo then lasso a small area for correction... I found it tough to smoothly and easily do that with the Trackpad. For just regular web surfing and such, I did not really have any issues with it.

4. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Mmm sounds like mouse option may be the answer for me then. I've been very used to using a mouse wish those weren't so expensive I'd buy both. Yes we have an apple store near by I think they got trackpad...( didn't notice magic mouse). Yeah I like to work on photo edit and such once in a while....

5. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I love my trackpad. All my machines are portables so for me it's just an extension of how I use the built in trackpad. I've just gotten so used to the gestures. I can't use the magic mouse, it feels weird.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Most Apple Stores stock both.

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I have and use both the Trackpad and Magic Mouse on all my desktop computers. Which one I am using depends on which application I am working in and exactly what I am doing.

The Trackpad is especially nice when simply browsing through these forums as I can lean back in my chair with the Trackpad on my lap and fully traverse the forum discussions.

8. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

I have both. Started with the mouse, bought the trackpad, hated the trackpad. Until I started using an MBA a lot. All of a sudden I loved the trackpad.

One thing though. The mouse will give you better control if you do photography. Using an adjustment brush with a trackpad is not the greatest.