Apple Magic Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hexiii, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Hexiii, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

I am thinking of buying the Magic Mouse, but there seem to be a lot of complaints about it so I am not sure whether to buy it or not.

Does the batteries really drain that fast?
    Is it that uncomfortable?
    Does it have short lifetime?
    Does it click as the trackpad or is it only responding to touching?
    Does it often lose connection?

I would buy different mouse but I can't live without the touch gestures anymore :)

Thanks for answers.

2. Macman45, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've used Magic Mice with my imac nad my MBP for years now without issue. In answer to the question about batteries, I use Eneloops, re-chargeables in both mice and my BT KB, cut's costs to almost nothing...I don't have connection drop out that you mention either.

Using the MM takes a little getting used to, as the swiping can be unfamiliar if you haven't used one before..Right and left clicks are pretty much the sam and scrolling is a joy without a wheel

3. Hexiii thread starter macrumors 65816

Hexiii

I would be also using the rechargeable batteries so that won't be problem, but how often does it needs to change?

And I don't worry about the gestures, I get used to almost every mouse, so the comfortability question isn't the most important.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It depends on how much you use the mouse and what for....I get about 10-15 days on a pair of Eneloops, they are rechargeable up yo 1500 times nad I have a dozen or so, the dedicated charger with 4 AA's costs about £12 UK or $19...No problem as long as you have a pair charged and ready to go.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I think youll be happy with the MM. You can probably get one here for ~$40.

6. Hexiii thread starter macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Alright, thank you. (The third question was about durability, if it breaks much.)

(Sorry for the second "o")

Thank you, too.

7. FluffyPop macrumors member

It seems to work about a month on a pair of cheap batteries so it's not bad at all. It's clicks like the trackpad, the entire touch surface is, in fact, clickable. Mine has never had any connection problems.

Many people dislike the magic mouse, but I like mine. It's not great for everything (some apps are still designed for a scroll wheel) but I love the smooth scrolling and the gestures. And it's much more precise than a trackpad.

8. Ifti macrumors 68000

Does the batteries really drain that fast? No, as long as you switch it off when not in use. Mine last absolutely ages!
    Is it that uncomfortable? No, I got used to mine pretty quick and love it now.
    Does it have short lifetime? No.
    Does it click as the trackpad or is it only responding to touching? It clicks - right and left clicks. Then you use gestures for scrolling, going back and forward pages and screens, and more!
    Does it often lose connection? Never. I always switch it on before I switch the system on, or bring it out of sleep, and its connected straight away.

9. Hexiii thread starter macrumors 65816

Hexiii

It has right click? Or is it the two finger trackpad style?

10. Ifti macrumors 68000

You can use it as one button left click, or set it to a seperate right and left click, like a 'normal' mouse.

Dont confuse it completely with the trackpad. Think of it as a normal mouse with both mouse buttons, but with swipe gestures, rather then tap gestures. So scroll vertical and horizontal by moving your finder across it, swipe left and right for back and forward pages, 2 finger swipes, and so on. Its pretty customisable.

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

That really depends on you and the shape and size of your hands. You need to try it out since it is entirely subjective. Some people find it comfortable and some people don't. Nearly all gestures can be replicated with a keyboard shortcut and usually it's faster this way.

12. Hexiii thread starter macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Yeah, like I said, that's not such a problem.

13. wytwolf macrumors regular

I bought one for my BMP yesterday and installed magicperf to give extra gestures. So far I like it. You have to hold it different then a reg mouse buy frees up a USB port. Looking at the Moshi charge dock for it now.

14. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I recommend BetterTouchTool as well; awesome piece of software.

15. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Yo should get the magic mouse

Yes, batteries go like crazy. But here is a solution to it. Rechargable batteries. Get a Sony recharger, it comes with 4x batteries and therefore you never run out of power again. The good thing is that the sony recharger also takes care of mini batteries (for your remote control)

Ergonomics are great, its insanely comfortable.

Lifetime is forever

Nativelly to OS X, it clicks and its not responsive to "tap" it has:

-left and right click
    -scrolling horizontally, vertically, diagonally, every direction actually
    -two finger swipe horizontally
    -silent!!!!!!!!!!

Morevover, there are apps you can install that gives the magic mouse 3-finger, and 4 finger support and even "tap" and even hybrid combinations of gestures

It only loses connection when batteries dies.

16. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Oh! :D. It's pretty durable, but the glass on the top scratches really easy, so just be careful with that. I think you'll enjoy it...it's pretty damn useful in PS lol.

17. Hexiii thread starter macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Oh, lol, I didn't mean that either :) I meant if it lasts long, because in the reviews they were complaining that it stopped working after a year.

18. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

They might have been careless with it lol. I've had mine for 2yrs and it's great still. Try it out, I think you'll like it :D

19. Hexiii thread starter macrumors 65816

Hexiii

OK :) Thank you all for your help.

Just a little final question... does it work on glass? I have glass desk and normal mouses/mice/pointing devices doesn't work on it. Sure it's no problem to buy a mouse pad, just asking. :)

20. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Since that raised a few ??? here too I've just tried it on part class room door and one in my cupboard.

The cupboard glass is like normal window glass, read near 100% clear, MM didn't work.

The glass in the door is the kind you can't really see through, worked o.k.

But neverless I would advice for some kind of mouspad anyway if not just for ergonomics than for not scratching you glass desk (and it will scratch no matter how good the glass is if you just push around a mouse in one spot long enough).

21. wabbit42 macrumors regular

1. The batteries in mine last about a month (Apple rechargeables)

2. I don't find it uncomfortable

3. I have used it every day for the past 2 years and it is still fine

4. It clicks

5. Mine only loses connection when the battery runs out ;)

22. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Uhm, from my experience...no lol. I could be wrong, but from my recollection, it won't work. But it works on almost anywhere.