Apple Magic Trackpad

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Springsteen, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Springsteen macrumors member

Springsteen

Hello everybody!

I'm thinking about changing out my Magic Mouse for a Magic Trackpad.
    Now, as i work with video editing and design (amongst other things) i'm just wondering if it's a wise move or if i should rethink it?

Anybody who does anything like that has any experience with it?

2. mfram macrumors 65816

Depends on how you use your pointing device. For clicking and scrolling (like you do with web surfing), I think the trackpad is easier to use. For click-and-drag, the mouse is probably easier to use. But I found the Magic Mouse to be a poor fit for my hand.

There's no reason not to use both. If you find your current task is more suited for the trackpad use it. If your task changes, maybe the other device is better. It's all up to you.

3. zone23 macrumors 68000

Let me start by saying I don't work in video editing.

My person experience though was that the trackpad angle was such that it hurt my wrist. I think you should just get one and try it, that's really the only way you will know if it works for you or not.

4. mfram macrumors 65816

Yes, the default set up for the trackpad is at a weird angle. I got around that by putting the edge of the pad on a small foam block. That way, the trackpad is mostly flat like on a laptop.

5. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Consider the Logitech trackpad for Mac. I switched over to these and love them. I had the same complaint as OP about the angle of the wrist.

They also sell for a significant discount on Amazon.

Cheers,

6. meistervu macrumors 65816

Yes, I agree.

I don't use a mouse. My choices are either a trackball or a trackpad. For general navigation I prefer the trackpad, but moving object and fine pointing I am better with a trackball.

I can use am ambidextrous when it comes to pointing devices (I trained myself many years ago to reduce the chance of repetitive strain injury). My current set up is trackpad on the left and trackball on the right. Lately, I haven't use my trackball much.

7. mfram macrumors 65816

That sounds like a pretty cool setup. Since I'm naturally left-handed, but use the mouse on the right side, I might be able to pull that off. I know when using a laptop, I can use the trackpad with either hand pretty much equally well.

8. Lankyman macrumors 68000

I think whichever you choose the choice shouldn't be Apple. I use a Logitech Laser mouse which is great to use, most ergonomic, plus the batteries last months, unlike MM. I think MM and TP is one area where Apple have always been weak.

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

No need to choose one or the other, they'll co-exist nicely. I use the MM probably 80% of the time, and use the Trackpad when working with photos.

10. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Turn on three finger drag and the magic trackpad is great. Apple's magic mouse is designed for duck feet rather than hands. I still use a mouse from time to time, so its not a good replacement, but most of the time, it's easier.

11. Springsteen thread starter macrumors member

Springsteen

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I like the idea about having the MT and the MM coexisting. I'm going to look into my options regarding that!

12. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

CursorSense

CursorSense adjusts the cursor acceleration and sensitivity. By adjusting both values, you can move the cursor just like you move your hand. And in your case, that may be quite convenient.

I have been using this app for many months and found it rock solid.

Shareware US $9.99, Demo available: http://plentycom.jp/en/cursorsense/

13. theluggage macrumors 68030

Agree on the MM (Bleurgh!!!)

The Magic TrackPad is, however, an entirely different kettle of fish - great to use. I see the comments about poor battery life - all I can say is that mine last for months at a time.

(I second the hint elsewhere in this thread about turning on three-finger dragging).

However, I still resort to a mouse (Logitech Performance MX) for graphics work and games.

Logitech trackpad sounds interesting, though...