Apple Mail 3.0 with Gmail problems... help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elpedro, Jan 9, 2008.

1. elpedro macrumors newbie

Ok,

I have been using web-based Gmail forever with the nifty Gmail Notifier for quick login and notification. I also have a BlackBerry 8320 which is running the Gmail app that allows me to view/compose/delete/search/archive my Gmail.

Today I tried to set up Apple Mail 3.0 with my Gmail. I followed the instructions given by google plus some tips and trick on other Mac forums.

As soon as I started up Apple Mail, ALL the messages that I had Archived in Gmail piled into my inbox, my web-based inbox disappeared (making it no visible on my BlackBerry), and everything that was already in my inbox got archived!

WTF!?

So now I had to remove my gmail account from Apple Mail, turn POP off on the web based gmail, and try to find my important inbox messages which were now lost in the archive.

Help!

My goal was to use Apple Mail so I could have it sync up with iPhoto. Is there a way to have Gmail work with Apple Mail so that my new messages are viewable on my BlackBerry too? It all seems so complicated and un-mac-like.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

The problem you describe makes me think you accidentally selected 'delete message after download' (or something to that effect) when setting up the gmail account. I think that's on the gmail prefs side (it's been ages since I've set up a gmail account to Mail too). While it might be a pain to find all those important emails you need, at least they still exist somewhere!

5. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

There's definitely an option about that on the Apple Mail side as well; I remember one of my POP accounts kept emptying itself after I downloaded email. You should probably switch to IMAP. I'm too lazy to switch since I've already got things working nicely with POP3, but if you're setting up this account for the first time IMAP is the best choice.

6. senior macrumors newbie

I had the exact same problem. You have to configure things on both Mail.App's side and GMail's side.

On Mail.App:
    - open Preferences
    - click the Accounts tab
    - choose your account and choose the Advanced tab
    - uncheck "remove copy from server..."

On GMail:
    - click on "Settings" at the top.
    - choose the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab
    - look for "2. When messages are accessed with POP" and set it to keep the copy in the inbox

This is mainly a problem on GMail's side, however. I only wanted to leave mail on the server when I access it from home, but when I access it from work I want it to download. Now I can't do that unless I manually change the Gmail settings each time!

7. elpedro thread starter macrumors newbie

OK figured out the problem... I was accessing Gmail with POP instead of IMAP. POP sucks, IMAP rules.

Now, does anyone know how to archive mail, or access the gmail archive from apple mail 3.0?