Apple Mail 5.0 stopped working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BAC5.2, Jan 25, 2012.

1. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

The problems started yesterday, with an inability to send an e-mail from one of my accounts. I was still receiving email at that point, and I could send from other accounts.

I have 4 Gmail accounts, and an iCloud account, all set up for IMAP.

This morning, all 5 accounts fail to even go online.

There were a few errors about not being able to connect through the default ports, but literally nothing has changed since it was working perfectly the other day.

Any clues as to what might be going on?

I'm disappointed with my email setup at the moment, and I'm contemplating ditching MacMail and going back to web-based Gmail (simply using Full Screen in a Safari window). I am just unsure how my Apple address book will sync with Gmail, and how that'll work on my iPhone especially.

2. JWicks macrumors newbie

Hi,

I had the same problem and it took me hours to figure it out. If you have tried all the usual things such as checking all details are correct and doing the captcha then hopefully this will work..

1. Do you have 2 step verification for mail? (you can check this by following link in step 2)

2. If yes you need to go to google account settings https://accounts.google.com/ManageAccount

3. On the right near the top under 'Personal Settings' you should see 'Using 2-Step verification' Click it

4. Half the way down the page on the right click 'Manage application-specific passwords'

5. At the bottom there is a text field that says 'Name' put in something so you can remember what your using password for so for example i needed it for Mac mail - so i called it mac mail... then click 'generate password'

6. This will generate a completey random selection of characters - copy this and edit your email client login details put this as the password and then try connecting again. Should now work.

Hope this helps