Apple Mail and Gmail - Huge file sizes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arcticmonkey227, Jan 3, 2009.

1. arcticmonkey227 macrumors member

I have a measly hard drive in my laptop (60 GB) and am quickly running out of space now that I've started using Gmail through Apple Mail. My Mail folder alone is over 2.5 GB. Is there a way that I can delete my mail on my computer without deleting it from Gmail's servers or screwing things up on the Apple Mail side?

I'm using an IMAP account.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Well for starters, all Gmail mail is kept in the All Mail folder on the site even when you delete something client side. That feature alone has saved me several times.

3. arcticmonkey227 thread starter macrumors member

that is a truly beautiful thing. So if i delete inbox mail i don't need in Apple mail it will still be in All Mail in Gmail? I'm glad someone's finally thinking about how to do this right

4. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

and setting your setting in gmail (gmail preff not mail preff) to not delete mail after a certain time.

im pretty sure thats still there

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Exactly. That's one of the main reasons Google started Gmail.

6. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

CAREFUL, check your mail prefs first.
    Accounts > Advanced > is Remove copy from server after retrieving a message ticked...

7. bnut macrumors newbie

bnut

8. Diaresi macrumors regular

In Mail Preferences > Accounts > Advanced there is an option to "Keep copies of messages for offline viewing:"

Select don't keep copies of any messages (or whichever option you prefer) :)

Or

You can just use POP3 instead of IMAP, then when you get new email in mail before it's even read it's archived on Gmail. So you can just delete it after you've read it and the message will still be nice and safe on Google's servers.