Apple mail and Gmail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by john2006wright, Jun 23, 2009.

1. john2006wright macrumors regular

Does anyone use google mail with apple mail (leopard). I tried setting up my gmail account in mail using POP3 and it worked for about 12hrs then it would not accept my password anymore and asked for web login. I deleted the account and tried setting up the account as an IMAP and again it worked for a few hours and then stopped accepting my password.

I get the message "The SMTP server “smtp.gmail.com” rejected the password for user xxxxx@gmail.com
    Any clue as to what's going on?

Thanks
    John

2. manmeet macrumors member

Ya I have!

I used the account, manmeetpaul@gmail.com on the application sometimes I found problems but it was solved!

Incoming server pop and outgoing smpt.gmail.com!

I think it will be done!

3. åidån Guest

New Zealand
  4. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

I tried both POP3 and IMAP and both worked OK for about 12hrs and then both stopped recognising my password.

5. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

When I click on the little error triangle by the account in maill I get the message:

"The IMAP server for “Gmail” wishes to alert you to the following:

Web login required (Failure)"

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
    John

6. rowsdower macrumors 6502

I don't know if I have gotten that message, but I occasionally have trouble with both Mail and iCal suddenly not being able to authenticate with Google. Restarting the application seems to fix it. It's kind of annoying and I have no idea what causes it.

7. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

well it seems to have fixed itself. Maybe Gmail was just having a bad few days.

thanks for your replies

john