Apple Mail and IMAP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tomaz, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Tomaz macrumors 6502

I'm using Gmail as my main mail account. I just read that Gmail will support IMAP soon. So I was wondering if this will finally solve my main concern with Apple Mail and Gmail:
    I usually load my emails into Apple Mail in the morning, answer them on the train and then send them off in the office. Now the problem is that it does not sync the sent mail back to Gmail. Will IMAP solve this problem? If not, does anyone know the answer to this problem?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It should do, but you'll soon find out when you try it, won't you.

3. pna macrumors 6502

When you send mail using Apple Mail, do you use the smtp.gmail.com gmail server as your outgoing mail server? I'm pretty sure that, if you do, gmail will continue to add your sent mails to their proper 'conversations'. I was having a similiar issue when using POP with gmail, and a different smtp server, but now that I've set it up to have my gmail account within apple mail to use gmail's smtp server, things behave as if I were only using the gmail web interface.

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I've never had an issue with mail.app and IMAP, but Gmail on Mail.app was horrific. The conversations thing just put all my sent mail in the Inbox.

If it didn't do that, I'd be tempted to move back to it.

5. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Weird, that never worked for me. I'll try again once they enable IMAP for me. Thanks.

6. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

That happened to me too. I then just defined a "rule" to put these mails into the sent-folder automatically. Hiwever, this is something that should not be necessary, stuff like this should work smoothly out of the box!